Repair or replace an Intex pool?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have a 12’ x 30” deep Intex pool that we’re using as a “temporary“ pond for goldfish and plants. I think it holds about 1200 gallons. It’s round. I have no idea what the goldfish population is. Unfortunately, when we set it up, we weren’t able to get it level, so over the past few years it has been slumping pretty bad. It’s been Ok, until we noticed a leak last week (we suspect it’s where the lawn guys weed-whacked around the base.)

We have it more or less patched, and our plan for the weekend is to empty and clean it (move the fish to a smaller Rubbermaid stock tank) so we can do a more thorough patch Job.

So, my question is this: Would patching the hole really work over time (say, another year or so) or would it be better if we replaced the pool all together? (No idea when we will eventually have our real pond built)

IMG_6281.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
The hole looks like it was created by a terrific blow. Perhaps a rock thrown by the weed-wacker? The problem is where the hole is located. It couldn't be in a worse location. I can't tell from the image but are there small horizontal holes underneath the big hole too? Because it looks like the fabric is deteriorated. If so, I would replace the pool. If you decide to repair, you might get another season out of the pool. One advantage we 'southerners' have is no ice to deal with but we have to deal with the sunshine blasting our ponds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We have a 12’ x 30” deep Intex pool that we’re using as a “temporary“ pond for goldfish and plants. I think it holds about 1200 gallons. It’s round. I have no idea what the goldfish population is. Unfortunately, when we set it up, we weren’t able to get it level, so over the past few years it has been slumping pretty bad. It’s been Ok, until we noticed a leak last week (we suspect it’s where the lawn guys weed-whacked around the base.)

We have it more or less patched, and our plan for the weekend is to empty and clean it (move the fish to a smaller Rubbermaid stock tank) so we can do a more thorough patch Job.

So, my question is this: Would patching the hole really work over time (say, another year or so) or would it be better if we replaced the pool all together? (No idea when we will eventually have our real pond built)

View attachment 165742
You could lay some kind of a cheap liner over it all if you only need it to last a year or so. Not sure how much those pools cost to replace vs the cheap liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The prices should be dropping at this time of the year.

A friend picks up used ones from people who are throwing them out at the end of the season. He uses them for covering hay over the winter.

Maybe you could post on Nextdoor or similar site offering to haul them off, even if you have to dismantle them?

Ask a Question