Potassium Metabisulfite Chloramine remover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Liquid chloramine remover is expensive. For culinary purposes, i.e. brewing, chloramine is removed with a small dose of Potassium Metabisulfite. I see recommendations for 25 milligrams /gallon up to 21 milligrams of the bisulfite per litre of water (79 mg / gallon). Both sources stated that the amounts were enough decontaminate water with up to 3 ppm chloramine. Has anyone here used this chemical successfully?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is interesting……but what do these chemicals break down into, and how long does it take? Remember that you’re asking your fish to swim in and essentially breathe this…..

Maybe @GBBUDD has some knowledge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The reaction is complete in a few minutes. The chloramine will be reduced to harmless chloride and harmful ammonia. The metabisulfite will be oxidized to sulfate, completely harmless. I'm reasonably certain this level of ammonia won't harm the fish, and should be quickly absorbed by the pond plants, though I'd note that some commercial water treatments claim to remove ammonia (I don't know how)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Actually the cost of the $40 / gallon water treatment is not really my biggest concern. I have no idea of the liquid treatment's shelf life of the stuff and the latest jug of the stuff I bought "on-line" had strange black powder in the bottom. The dry powdered metabisulfite is stable indefinitely, per my understanding.

Ask a Question