Possible Leak In Dual Waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's been awhile since posting here. Last year I constructed a rather large, dual pondless waterfall. The basin is comprised of 12 matrix blocks, so approximately 370 gallons of water. The falls are full sun all day, and I have a few areas with splashing happening.

My concern and question is, over the past several weeks, I've had to top off the basin way more frequently. Granted, we've not had a lot of rain here in SC, but the degree the water level is going down has me thinking there's a possible leak somewhere. This is my first full summer with the falls, so I have no idea what is normal.

For instance, my vault is an 18" corregated culvert pipe. This past time of having to top it off, the water was down approximately 8 to 10" over the course of a few days. This doesn't seem normal does it? Even with the splashing and evaporation it seems excessive to me.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United States

Attachments

• 20240818_183901.jpg
    20240818_183901.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240818_183839.jpg
    20240818_183839.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240818_183824.jpg
    20240818_183824.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
your water level drop 8 to 10" on what a single layer of 18" aquablocks with 12 total ? in how many days?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The vault is 18" across. It's a culvert pipe. Yes, there are 12 matrix blocks total, in a single layer. Not sure of the dimensions, but each holds approximately 30.5 (I think) gallons. It was 3 days since my previous top off. I simply took note as to how far up the matrix blocks the water was, then, 3 days later it was approximately 8" down. No actual tape measure used, yet. I will tomorrow though, after today's top off.

I was researching online, and an article stated that 1 to 2" lost per day, on a waterfall, is evaporation. If it's from 3 to 6bor so, it's a leak. They posted a formula for figuring it out, but it was also for a pond connected...so no clue how I'd calculate mine? As stated, it is in full sun all day from 11am on.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
looking at the falls i see a couple areas i question as could be an issue. in there fabric on top of the liner particularly at the spot the moss is growing is the liner at least two inches higher than this area fabric and epdm can both wick water up 2 inches or more . and seeing the moss im guessing there is fabric there and it loks higher than the sides.
splashing can loose a great deal of water over time

Attachments

• 1000011918.jpg
    1000011918.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yes start a daily diary measure same spot in the snorkel each day at the same time .
a little math 12 blocks at 32 gallons being the large 18 inch tall matrix blocks and 12 of them is 384 gallons. divide by 18" tall thats 21 gallons an inch so if yur loosing 8" in 3 days that roughly 50 gallons a day running 24 hours a day in sc sun and temps id say maybe a little high but not terribly

Reaction score
Country
United States
yes start a daily diary measure same spot in the snorkel each day at the same time .
a little math 12 blocks at 32 gallons being the large 18 inch tall matrix blocks and 12 of them is 384 gallons. divide by 18" tall thats 21 gallons an inch so if yur loosing 8" in 3 days that roughly 50 gallons a day running 24 hours a day in sc sun and temps id say maybe a little high but not terribly
Ok, just measured and the water in the vault is down 4.5 inches from approximately this same time yesterday. Also to note, I have a timer that powers off the pumps from around 11pm until 7am.

Regarding those areas of concern you circled, the liner is just beyond those...I can follow the edge all the way and see no water escaping there. I've also inspected around both streams/cascades and see no evidence of extra dampness on the sides. Totally at a loss as to where I could potentially be losing water.

I haven't as of yet filled the basin, and then shut off everything for 24hrs, just to see if it is leaking from the basin itself, which would be freaking impossible for me to rectify if that's the case.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@GBBUDD is it possible that one of the various "decorative" weed's roots have punctured the liner? Or even maybe that cardinal flower that's growing between rocks (with liner underneath)? I was out clipping off some of the larger weeds/plants, and the roots were quite robust... so much so that I couldn't pull out of the moss without wrecking everything, so I just snipped them off level.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not in a year I wouldn't think . And the cardnal no it won't. But what plants will do on a new set up is fold over the the liner that had an air pocket behind it and create a leak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm, interesting. Well, currently I've got the basin full and everything shut off, just to "hopefully" rule out a leak in the basin liner. Next, I believe I'll just run one fall at a time, for 24 hrs, and check water level each time after topping off. That said, even if/when the water level drops 4" or so, I'm still mot sure it's not just splash, or wicking liner, etc, as opposed to water actually breaching the sides.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Once the water has been off to the falls and things dry out stick a paper towel particularly a cheap brown one they show water the west. Tuck them in suspect areas but leave part where you can see it. If it wicks the paper towel will show it

Reaction score
Country
United States
Once the water has been off to the falls and things dry out stick a paper towel particularly a cheap brown one they show water the west. Tuck them in suspect areas but leave part where you can see it. If it wicks the paper towel will show it
@GBBUDD after a few days of paper towel troubleshooting, I see no water wicking. Granted, it could be happening in an inconspicuous area, but otherwise no leaks.

I checked vault/basin water level again this morning, with both falls running, and it was down 1" in 24 hrs, again note that a timer shuts off the pumps from approximately 11pm until 7am.

While paper towel troubleshooting, I noticed a decent amount of steady splashing onto rocks, so in your opinion does it sound likely that all my water loss was in fact due to splashing and hotter temperatures? (its been about 10 degrees cooler these past few days)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
, it could be happening in an inconspicuous area, but otherwise no leaks
No leaks along the edging is what that helps with. Won't say anything to a leak below water level.

So have you figured out how much water is being lost daily when everything is running was my guesstimate close ?

Ask a Question