Pond pump choking sound..

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

my pump keeps making the choking sound like the water is too low. Wanted to attach a video . Only starts about an hour after running. The water level is not below the skimmer line, and there is water coming through the waterfall at normal speed. However it sounds like it is choked or blocked. (I have pulled it out, checked all componenets. This pump is three months old and replaced an old pump, same model, like for like. However there is definitely
IMG_0571.jpeg
more power in the new pump.
Tsurumi Model 12PN 1 HP Pump 115v

Any thoughts?

Appreciate any advice!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
thats a strong pump @ ten feet of head its putting out 7600 gallons an hour . but when the head goes above that it looses power very quickly the 8 pn holds its power much better over 10 feet of head. and im surprised are you using 3" pvc?

can you post a pic of your pond and falls all in one photo

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thankyou for answering. I inherited the pond with the house and have very little working knowledge. I asked a pond store on the new pump and this is what they recommended. The flow is definitely faster. The hole from the pump was 3 inches. Hence the large 3 inch pvc valve. The line that runs back upto the waterfall is 2 inches. Its a 20 feet waterfall a drop of about 6 feet total.

Attachments

• IMG_9701.jpeg
    IMG_9701.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9700.jpeg
    IMG_9700.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9697.jpeg
    IMG_9697.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0595.jpeg
    IMG_0595.jpeg
    478.9 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thankyou for answering. I inherited the pond with the house and have very little working knowledge. I asked a pond store on the new pump and this is what they recommended. The flow is definitely faster. The hole from the pump was 3 inches. Hence the large 3 inch pvc valve. The line that runs back upto the waterfall is 2 inches. Its a 20 feet waterfall a drop of about 6 feet total.
@GBBUDD

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you should be under the 10 feet of head which that pump needs or the flow rate drops drasticly but reducing to 2" makes no sense to then use the 12 over the 8 it does have more gpm at more head but reducing has got to put it at that max.

Reaction score
Country
United States
you should be under the 10 feet of head which that pump needs or the flow rate drops drasticly but reducing to 2" makes no sense to then use the 12 over the 8 it does have more gpm at more head but reducing has got to put it at that max.
@GBBUDD so you are suggesting the pump is too powerful for the pond? As i said, new to ponds so not completely adept to figuring out my system. I guess i could replace the 2 inch pipe with 3 inch from the pump to the waterfall?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
that should increase the flow but looking at your waterfall that may not be the best road to go down. my rambling was more why the recommendation of a 3" pump when its being reduced to 2" . 2" generally only allows for a flow of under 5000 gph the only way to get 7600 in a 2 inch is going high pressure and schedule 40pvc is not cut out for that. the gurgling sound its probably a whirl -pool pulling in air due to a larger pump in a smallish are and is pulling in air

Reaction score
Country
United States
@GBBUDD i believe i was given poor advice on the pump. But i will have to make it work until i can afford to switch routes. I appreciate the advice and the help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
your probably loosing gph and energy, placing a 3" to a 2 inch . if you cut in a 3" tee why fitting and taped another 2" line and used that to add circulation to a pond or a second waterfall feed you'll get what that pump can put out

Ask a Question