Pond Evaporation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah he’d have to use 100,000 gallons to get to 1000 dollars. My husband uses the same water bill math. I have to re-educate him annually.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been having to top up my 800 litre pond a lot on these hot, breezy days...having a pretty vigorous 18 inch high pipe pouring water onto the surface is good for oxygen levels but does cause a lot of evaporation!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a mud pond approx 60x30' it loses quite a bit thru hot & dry weather. We've tried to figure out if there's a leak but without taking out the dam & redoing with a liner ... I'm not willing to lose my fish. I top it off with our tap water from a hose every so often. But approx 17000 gal is approx $125 so I feel like I can justify it. It's still frustrating tho!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
While i figured evaporation was going to add up , and being on city water. I opted to build a 3000 gallon cistern . Now anyone new to ponding or just in the planning stages would think thats an insane amount of water you'll never use that. When in actuality i wish i had gone even bigger so i didn't have to monitor the evaporation rate ever. I collect half the rain from my roof, it runs down the gutters and into the pond. as the pond over flows this drops into the cistern.
Now the cost when i was building it was the biggest concern. as 80 large aqua blocks and a liner that was 35 x35 is not cheap.
As usual in building budgeting up to 35% more than your estimate is always a good idea. As i did go over the original costs as when i was digging what did i come across? but the old 1920's construction trash dump in building the house.
they use to dig a hole and throw all the left over cuts of lumber , tin cans left over roofing, ceramic tile and yes the whiskey bottles. Now i could have opted for a thick layer of sand but i know mother nature all too well and know in a cold climate she can push a boulder a foot a year underground , so some broken shards of glass or nails were all too easy to push into the liner and puncture it. my solution was to line the entire pit with 3/4", azek or "pvc " sheathing.

Long story short it was costly but it is now a one time expense and my water level in the pond ALWAYS is a constant only the cistern fluctuates you never seen the liner or water drop. But if memory serves me it did run over 4,500 dollars in materials alone, and that was before Bidennomics. So today i'd bet 6500 would be in the right neighborhood

Ok just did a quick look up 5600 for aquablocks 1500 for liner and 350 for a small pump and 300 bucks for 2 inch flex grand total over $7500 bucks sorry my financial estimate was a bit poor is used the official costs are up only 20% when in actuality its closer to 40% so bring on the free rain water.
so 5 years ago when the cistern went in the price was a bit hard to chew, today i am more than grateful for pulling the trigger.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It’s our biggest regret - not building the rain exchange bigger. We have 1000 gallons which like you said, seems massive, but it’s really not. I do love the fact that our pond level never drops. The water loss is only a apparent underground.

Reaction score
Is it abnormal for a pond to lose water through evaporation during these extremely hot days we've been having? I have a 1000 gal pond and it seems to be down about an inch every morning.
Make sure there are no roots from surrounding trees or large bushes that have grown into your pond.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was also blown away by the 45 gallons a day my pond/bog was evaporating, I looked for a long time for a leak but after doing the math its just evaporation. I installed (2) 2,000 gallon storage tanks that collect water from my buildings roofs and it has kept the pond full all summer and luckily we did get a few days of rain just as the tanks were going dry. I have another 6,000 gallons of storage for irrigation and backup. We are lucky? that we get a lot of rain for most of the year although the last few years its getting less and less.

Ask a Question