Pond Evaporation

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is it abnormal for a pond to lose water through evaporation during these extremely hot days we've been having? I have a 1000 gal pond and it seems to be down about an inch every morning.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Is it abnormal for water to evaporate? Clearly not. Add wind to the equation and it can get nuts.

And you will learn that heat is just one element. We lose more water in our pond to the extreme cold than we do in the hot summer. Cold dry air can suck the moisture like crazy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
200 gallons a day? How big is your pond? At that rate my pond would be empty in 20 days. Seems a bit high.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
200 gallons a day? How big is your pond? At that rate my pond would be empty in 20 days. Seems a bit high.
Mine, it's surface are is around 26 M2, the 30lph around the peak, hot temp, strong winds and low humidity = high evapation.

During the the night it goes to 5 or 6 lph

So average for day is what 20 x 24 say 500ltr 140gls

It's costing a fortune to keep it topped up. I would normally fill from rain water, but it's been dry

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s not at all abnormal. Evaporation happens 🤪 It’s one of the fun discoveries you make as a pond owner — there’s always something more to learn!

The following has little to do with your question……but it’s a PEARL OF PONDING WISDOM:
As @Lisak1 alluded to, no 2 ponds are alike, and you have to look at the big picture, consider the variables, and ask a lot of questions — the reason you are here today❣️ — which is why you’ll see us asking a lot of questions before we give a definitive answer.

The only “hard and fast” law with keeping fish happy and healthy is to understand the nitrogen cycle!

*Lisa lives in the Midwest USA, while I live in the Southeast, USA. In the South, we have HUMIDITY 🥵 out the wazoo…..all year. Even with the high humidity, evaporation is still a problem in the summer, but the heat and wind are big factor with us……and having rocks and plants play into that variable. But now I understand WHY evaporation isn’t a problem for me in the winter — it’s our humidity💦💦. Gotta love Mother Nature😇

Reaction score
Country
United States
We lose more water in our pond to the extreme cold than we do in the hot summer. Cold dry air can suck the moisture like crazy.
Well shoot. I was hoping once winter came I wouldn't have to top off very often, but the air here in Utah is dry all year and can get into the single digits in the winter. How do you do your winter top-offs? Does ice slow down the evaporation?

I've said elsewhere that I'm probably losing 200 or so gallons every two-3 days in the dry utah heat. the difference in my water usage between summer this year and summer last year is rediculous. Still love my pond though.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes evaperation definitely happens. Lately it’s been a higher rate of evaporation for me since it’s been super warm, but also dry and not humid. I have a 100ft stream that causes a major increase in the evaporation rate, so I do choose to turn it off at night, and instead at night supplement with an extra aerator. The waterfall bog never turns off though except December - February.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Plants absorb and release water into the atmosphere. Rocks hold heat - water s splashes on rocks, more evaporation. Splashing waterfall, water loss. Water leaving a pond is inevitable.

@GaryMoz when you say “a fortune” - how much do you pay for a gallon of water? Even 200 gallons a day would only cost me 20 cents and our water is considered to be expensive for the Midwest.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Plants absorb and release water into the atmosphere. Rocks hold heat - water s splashes on rocks, more evaporation. Splashing waterfall, water loss. Water leaving a pond is inevitable.

@GaryMoz when you say “a fortune” - how much do you pay for a gallon of water? Even 200 gallons a day would only cost me 20 cents and our water is considered to be expensive for the Midwest.
About 10 times more expensive over £2 for a 1000ltrs

I'm also running a drum filter that gets through a similar about. So over a year that around £800 just on water for the pond. Which I never factored in.

Hopefully rain water tanks will make up some of it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
About 10 times more expensive over £2 for a 1000ltrs

I'm also running a drum filter that gets through a similar about. So over a year that around £800 just on water for the pond. Which I never factored in.

Hopefully rain water tanks will make up some of it.
How does that convert to USD, just wondering?

Ask a Question