Planting in gravel without soil + recommendations on what to add?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I have a Chameleon plant in the gravel without any soil, but just the roots on the stones, to my surprise it's thriving and growing. The lily also has not any soil and it's started growing too, I expect within 2 weeks I'll have some pads on the surface, although it's still getting warm and things coming out of dormancy. Hippuris vulgaris, I have two of these beautiful plants just stuck to some stones, though they're floating plants so they don't need soil anyways. Equisetum scirpoides I do have with soil just stuck in gravel, this one has this type of soil that does not muddy the water at all, and even by hand it is tough to tear apart, so even if I wanted to I could not, this type of soil is really interesting but I have no clue what kind of soil it is.

The water lily is in a pot, but other plants are just in gravel. I'm also looking to add some more plants that suck up the nutrients out of the pond, any recommendations would be useful, on what to plant around the pond, in the pond etc.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
1st things first - get rid of the chameleon plant if you value your life. Haha. Not even kidding. That plant - while lovely and interesting - is a notorious garden bully and will spread EVERYWHERE. It took me a full decade to finally get rid of it from my garden from just one tiny plant shared with me by a neighbor. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Are you referring to the soil the plants come in from the nursery? It's probably an aquatic blend. Any marginal plants are good for removing nutrients from the pond - reeds, rushes, irises, forget me not, cardinal flower, arum, lizard tongue, etc. I have some hostas that grow in the shallows. Marsh marigold is a particular spring favorite. I love my bog bean.

Find what you like and plant it! There's really no one plant or another that is more beneficial - they all love the nutrients in the pond water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
1st things first - get rid of the chameleon plant if you value your life. Haha. Not even kidding. That plant - while lovely and interesting - is a notorious garden bully and will spread EVERYWHERE. It took me a full decade to finally get rid of it from my garden from just one tiny plant shared with me by a neighbor. DO NOT RECOMMEND.

Are you referring to the soil the plants come in from the nursery? It's probably an aquatic blend. Any marginal plants are good for removing nutrients from the pond - reeds, rushes, irises, forget me not, cardinal flower, arum, lizard tongue, etc. I have some hostas that grow in the shallows. Marsh marigold is a particular spring favorite. I love my bog bean.

Find what you like and plant it! There's really no one plant or another that is more beneficial - they all love the nutrients in the pond water.
Hi, I see what you mean, but I planted it bare root , so I don't think it could get out of hand. However it is growing steadily, and I imagine as soon as we get to 20c daily in about 20 days, then it will go crazy (as you say). I do not mind it though, seeing it's just roots in gravel and no soil.

As for soil, do you think it's better to plant in gravel without soil or with it? I'm thinking that soil is messy, and all plants that I've planted are mostly without soil (mostly as in may have a little bit of aquatic soil, but barely). The Chameleon plant has no soil, and it's thriving, so that must mean something. I don't like soil in water much cause if I do anything that requires moving then it can get muddy and I don't want that, I think for a water lily it's fine but even there I don't have much soil except on the rhizome a little bit, and it seems to have started growing a week or two ago coming out of dormancy. I planted Marsh Marigold, Creeping Jenny and barred horsetail (these ones do have soil, but I planted them as marginals so they do get water but they don't affect it as much) today, no soil, not sure how it'll go, Creeping Jenny will probably go well.

I have another Barred Horsetail plant, but it doesn't seem to be so much thriving, it has some soil but not much compared to the new ones added today. It's kind of orange and not much green, as compared to these ones I added today which are just green. Could it be because of not enough soil? I know it's a sign it's dried out, but it's constantly in water so how could that be?

Oenanthe fistulosa "Flamingo", this one I also planted in gravel as a marginal. Not the best practice maybe, cause they come in with soil, I wash away the soil with a hose, might be stressful for the plant. Creeping Jenny looks amazing though, I am looking to add more of those kind of plants that can get their feet wet and thrive without soil.

I suppose I may be overreacting planting without soil, marginals don't have that much effect on muddiness since if I move them it may send some muck but not much. But last time I put soil into gravel, I came to find out it turned to mud and that seems to be a fertilizer for algae.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a water feature, I have had to raise it by putting it on two pallets, because of the hokes and not wanting the wood to rot ,I have stapled on tarpaulin to the pallets, giving it a base for me too work with pebbles and rocks around the water feature, has anyone any advice on what plants I could use that will thrive just in rocks and pebbles ,I have put very small pin price holes on tarpaulin so there still can be drainage , if you can help ,much would be appreciated, regards maria

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I plant most of my pond plants in pots of rocks, no soil. I have a chameleon plant in a pot in the pond. It does get bigger every year, but it is contained in a pot so I just enjoy how large it gets.

Some things do just as well in rocks as they do in soil, maybe even better. Some seem to need soil. Taro plants, lizard tail plants, and any of the grass type plants, thrive with no soil.

So do impatiens. I put those on each side of the waterfall, in the water, and held down by a small rock on the roots. By the end of the summer they completely cover the top half of the waterfall with a mass of flowers. I also put them in a floating planter bare root, no soil.

I'm sure there are others, but I'm not coming up with them right now.

I use sand for water lilies and irises that are in the pond. Others use plain kitty litter, the cheapest kind with no additives.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Hi I have a water feature, I have had to raise it by putting it on two pallets, because of the hokes and not wanting the wood to rot ,I have stapled on tarpaulin to the pallets, giving it a base for me too work with pebbles and rocks around the water feature, has anyone any advice on what plants I could use that will thrive just in rocks and pebbles ,I have put very small pin price holes on tarpaulin so there still can be drainage , if you can help ,much would be appreciated, regards maria
Certain grasses enjoy constant moisture, I think some Carex like it and they look very nice. There is also dwarf Acorus. You can also plant annual Impatiens as long as the foliage is not underwater it'll thrive and look very nice.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
2kittywelcome.gif
@Maria dyke

Ask a Question