Plant problems?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It’s been a long time since I’ve visited here—which is really a good thing since it means I haven’t had many issues. Two years ago I put a couple of potted Lilly pad plants in the pond. Last year I could only pull one out for the winter (I pull them out, trim down and sink for the winter). The other one had fallen over and wasn’t contained by the pot. They’d grown so much that I could not pull the tipped over one out. Some how some way it’s attached itself to the bottom of the pond. Do I risk harming the liner if I keep pulling on the plant to remove it? I was using a hook on a pole and couldn’t pull the plant up. It’s STUCK to the bottom. Better way to remove it? It’s gotten too big for my small pond.

2nd question. Several years ago we planted pamprass grasses near the pond. If you’re not familiar, those grow BIG. The get 15’ high each year and spread. The reeds are the size of bamboo and get hard. They’ve now pushed their way
IMG_0037.jpeg
IMG_0035.jpeg
right next to the pond. My wife wants to dig that one up— it do I need to worry that digging right next to the pond will collapse the pond on that side? If I just keep it cut down short and low and don’t dig it up do I need to worry about the roots continuing to spread and puncturing the liner?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The lily is not attached to the liner. The roots and tubers are covered with muck, making them really heavy. Best to wade in with a sharp knife, cutting up, hack the plant into smaller pieces.
I had one jump the pot, one season, could barely get it out. Very heavy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i'd avoid a knife liners are very easily cut. but for i did go that route i would jump in but with a rope and try to get it under the tuber wrap it a couple times and then you'll have a good grip on it and yank it out . if you have to wrap it around your self and use your body and legs . but most of all i would definitely get rid of that tall plant that tall plants grow fast and that can mean aggressive roots that may start puncturing the liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
i'd avoid a knife liners are very easily cut. but for i did go that route i would jump in but with a rope and try to get it under the tuber wrap it a couple times and then you'll have a good grip on it and yank it out . if you have to wrap it around your self and use your body and legs . but most of all i would definitely get rid of that tall plant that tall plants grow fast and that can mean aggressive roots that may start puncturing the liner
It’s literally right next to the pond now. If I try to dig it out won’t the pond wall potentially collapse?

Ask a Question