New USDA plant hardiness map

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some people may find it interesting that the plant hardiness map has been updated by the USDA, been about 10 years since an update. I am still in 6b but pretty close to a 7a area which was not the case before. They said there was a bigger difference in the midwest so you may want to check it out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My location has been 7a since we moved here in 2009. This map is calling it 7b. I hate to argue with their stats, but last winter we absolutely had a night that we got down to 0 degrees F, so... yeah, still 7a. 🤷‍♀️

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They can't scream climate change and not change the map some where. I saw a SCIENTIFIC DOCUMENTARY the other day where the desert on the north end of Africa was actually reverting toward not jungle but bush

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I live in Pinellas County FL, which is essentially the peninsula west of Tampa Bay. The 10a/10b/9b zones are in spots all around, as the weather data is so detailed now, it seems to be putting a lot (too much?) micro-climate in the map. 9B is a mile further away from me than the last edition. I use this as more of a general guidance of "you're kinda in the 10a-10b-ish zone, so horde sheets and blankets to cover your most tender plants on the 3-5 days of 31.5 degree overnights."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
How do we edit the information in our "About" profile. I used to be zone 6 A and am now 6B. I see the about info, just not how to edit it.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Click on your name at the top of the page, click on Account details, edit the info and then click save at the bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think the hardiness zone is a good starting point, but you have to know your own garden. We've been edging toward 6A for years but I have areas in my yard where I would plant something that's zoned 6A, but the same plant wouldn't stand a chance in other areas.

I always err on the side of one zone down anyway - one polar vortex and all bets are off.

Ask a Question