Need help with pond

Quality SR

Quality SR
Reaction score
Hello guys, I am a newbie here. I have a question on installing a plastic pond. I have a plastic pond with 2 IN pipes and 2 OUT pipes coming off the pond. On the filter (Hayward) I have 1 spot for the IN and 1 spot for the OUT. My question is, can I use a "Y" fitting for the 2 IN pipes and the 2 OUT pipes coming off the pond? If not can i get away with sealing off one of each off the pond and just use the 2? Instead of 4. Also the threads off the 2 pipes from the IN is 1", the thread off the filter is 1 1/2" can i reduce this to work? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance Rich

Reaction score
Oh wow. Not to be offensive but that's kinda messed up. Haha. Yeah, I think a Y fitting should work but Y fittings tend to slow down the water flow, which can cause the filter to either do poorly or stagnant water could build up. Umm, if I had that kind of pond I would just plug up one of the OUT and IN holes, especially the ones with different threads, to make it easier. But if not, you can purchase some fittings in the plumber section of a hardware store. They have a wide range of fittings so you shouldn't have a problem finding one that connects to a 1 inch and a 1 1/2 inch.

Reaction score
Hi I am new to the forum, but not plumbing. Depending on the required flow of water that your filter needs, (see it's instructions), or the required turn over of your pond, which will be dependant on what and how many fish you have, adjust according to the pump manufacturers guidlines. Now since your pump was chosen I assume to some desired specification, use the diameter pipes on your pump in and out. The reduction will not hurt as most pumps work with a certain amount of differential in and out. Remember smaller diameter contributes to increased pressure at a given volume. If needed you can use a restricter valve on the outlet of the filter to fine tune pressure and flow(volume).

The two inlets and out lets are most likely there to give you flexibility for adding an indpentent pump for a skimmer or water fall, or fountain.

I have had a lot of experience with swimming pools, 2" pipe was more than sufficient enven for a large pool, so relax about that.

not knowing anything about your specific application, I hope this helps. I believe less is more when it comes to ponds, so go easy on the gobblety gook accessories and use the KISS theory.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
dont reduce any of your pipes go ahead and make them all 1 1/2'' to make things easier . conect the 1 1/2 right to your pond pipes even if they are smaller.cap off any you dont need

Ask a Question