Native plants(weeds) growing on liner

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I built my rather large pondless waterfall last summer, and completed all the landscaping this spring. Seems like an obvious answer, but I'll ask just to make sure. I've got some areas where, in order to hide the liner, I stuck some local moss on it, via waterfall foam. A couple months later and now there's a plethora of small plants that have taken root out of the moss. Small plants like these won't harm the liner, will they? I left them because I really think they help naturalize the feature. Here's an example of one of the larger areas, but there are several more spots like this.

Attachments

• 20240629_142648.jpg
    20240629_142648.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 22
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hard to tell from the picture but i think i see What we call forest bamboo in there it doesn't have a hard section stock but it does have leaves similar to bamboo and it is very very invasive i'd pull it and everything associated with it and put it in the trash not just to the compost or leave pile get it off the property

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hmm, not sure which leaves you're referring to, but we have nothing growing around here that looks anything at all like bamboo? I searched "forest bamboo" and only came up with bamboo forests. And do ya think smallish plants like this will harm the liner?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Doubt it would be a problem. The only thing I bother to pull are the little birch trees that start to sprout.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hard to tell from the picture but i think i see What we call forest bamboo in there it doesn't have a hard section stock but it does have leaves similar to bamboo and it is very very invasive i'd pull it and everything associated with it and put it in the trash not just to the compost or leave pile get it off the property
Hey @GBBUDD , more research leads me to believe the name of the "forest bamboo" you referred to is actually Japanese Stilt Grass. One in the same I do believe. VERY invasive. I've also realized that there all over the woods behind my house. They're annuals but over seed. Must've been seeds all in the moss I stuck everywhere. Looks nice, but yea, I'm going to have to crawl the waterfall and clip those sucker's, as they can get fairly robust.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Grow some moss water with pond water and cut out any plants that start to grow. It is very common but if you don't have it you don't want it. In the middle of a field it's attractive in s giant circle . Or beneath the forest canopy but little else will be able to grow. After 7 years if some plant started to sprout I just cut out all the soul around it not just pull the weed in the long run it pays off

Ask a Question