Native freshwater shrimp as cleanup crew?

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I’m curious if anyone has introduced some species of freshwater shrimp to their ponds as a cleaner? For years in different aquarium biotopes I used the our local grass shrimp to consume old fish food, detrital material and algae from driftwood and plants to finish what the sailfin mollies couldn’t. With needing to provide my map turtle with a varied diet I’m thinking of trying them in my pond along with a few crawfish and apple snails to serve a dual use. All three shouldn’t have a problem reproducing in pond conditions and I’m pretty sure the turtle will keep overpopulation from becoming a problem.

Meh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive tried feeder shrimp from fish store.
They survive till winter then die. Ive heard that "PK Shrimp" will survive low temps bit also heard they are hard to find. You usually get grass shrimp sold as pk shrimp.

JMJ

Marsh Gorilla
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for your reply! The ones sold as feeder shrimp are likely the freshwater species that’s native here. We also have several river prawn species I occasionally run into at work. I may be ok with winter temps, we‘re lucky if I we get more than one or two “freeze days” a year.

Ask a Question