My First Water Lily !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I began to wonder if there was enough sunlight to give me a Lily.. Then, last week I saw a bud approaching the surface, but it seemed to take forever to break the surface.. Then once it cleared the surface, it just sat there.. But yesterday it finally bloomed ! My pond’s first Lily…. The pond is under my patio cover, with 80% shade cloth, and grow lights..

Rich…

Attachments

• IMG_5823.jpeg
    IMG_5823.jpeg
    164 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5815.jpeg
    IMG_5815.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5818.jpeg
    IMG_5818.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5824.jpeg
    IMG_5824.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5825.jpeg
    IMG_5825.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I began to wonder if there was enough sunlight to give me a Lily.. Then, last week I saw a bud approaching the surface, but it seemed to take forever to break the surface.. Then once it cleared the surface, it just sat there.. But yesterday it finally bloomed ! My pond’s first Lily…. The pond is under my patio cover, with 80% shade cloth, and grow lights..

Rich…
I've been very lucky as well this year. In shade I was surprised it bloomed, same flower as yours. Didn't get a chance to smell it though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Well, now I’m pretty sad.. Is it normal for the flowers to only last a couple of days ? The first flower committed suicide after 2 days. At first the flower was several inches above the water, and over night it sank back into the water, but rose up again the next morning. The next day, a second flower broke water, but the first one couldn’t make it back up. I propped it up, but it wasn’t to be.. Second flower popped up, and lasted two days, and couldn’t make it any longer. Same thing, it just couldn’t stand up again.. The plants are very healthy, and the stems supporting the flowers are about 3\8” dia, so it’s not too much weight on a skinny stem.. Third flower is breaking the surface this morning, hope the outcome is better.. what could cause this ? It’s been really hot for the last 10+ days…. Air temp has been in the 105 -112 degree range, but water is only 78-80.

😹 Rich…

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
good lord !!!!!!!!!!!!! and your wondering why a delicate water flower is not lasting for more than a couple days. i wouldn't last a couple hours.

Ask a Question