Mallard Ducks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
This year (2nd year with new pond) has been the year of visitors. I didn't have my pond in place at this time last year though...

I saw on the security camera, two mallard ducks hanging around the pond. They have been there for a few hours now and just running around the parameters of the pond, checking out everything. A lot of time by the waterfall eating some algae and in the bog filter.

I think I already know the answer and what my gut tells me to do but figure I would ask.

My pond is (estimated) 11,000 gallons. I forget off hand, but probably 40' by 20' and about 4' deep in the middle. It has 24" edge around some of it and then a chunk that is 24" on the one side (shallow end). I have a generic filter in the waterfall feature (small though) and a bog filter that is about 3' deep. I do not know the dimensions off hand. I think it was roughly 15% of the surface area of the pond itself. Between those two, the pond did fantastic last year and doing great this year too.

Doing some reading, they can be very dirty and really make your pond take a hit with quality and clarity. It would be NEAT to have a breeding pair of ducks for the spring/summer but I do not want to risk the ecosystem of the pond. I have just started doing the landscaping (rocks/plants) around the pond which may take me all year. I do not want all that to be destroyed either. I know they can also eat small fish. I'm not worried about my larger gold fish or Koi and honestly, it would be good to thin out the minnows and baby fish that appear from nowhere. Well, I know where they come from but every so often I notice a bunch of baby fish hanging out in the shallows. I also just had mating toads lay eggs which I've been hoping would happen. I'm sure they would be eating some of the eggs/tadpoles and maybe baby toads.

I think my biggest concern though is the water quality. With my size pond, two mallards and eventually baby ducks (if they stick around), would it handle it? My water is pretty clear now and quality has been great. Took a little while for things to get going out of winter and fighting a little algae still, but nothing bad at all. Some of the other plants in the bog are waking up finally.

I'm thinking I'll wait a bit today to see if they go on their own and wait to see what folks here say. I'll take my kids out to see them and if I need to, shoo them away. At least the kids can check them out first. Though I think my daughter is going to be mad at me for kicking them out. She is 5 and holds a pretty good grudge! Haha...

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Most likely they will move on, if they do stay and nest, it will only be for a short period before the female takes the brood and skedaddle. Depending on your plants and how well established they are, plants could take a bit of a hit.

With a bog and your size pond, I think the biofilter could handle the extra load from 2 ducks for a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would let them stay this year and see what happens. You can take necessary measures next year if it doesn’t work out.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I would let them stay, they add such fun to watch and the kids will love them! You have such a large pond I doubt they will effect your water quality much or at all. Would love to see your pond w/the duck and all :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They left for a bit yesterday but came back while I was out with the kids, checking the toad eggs. They came swooping in and scared the kids at first. They hung out while we watched and then we had to go in.

Not sure if they stuck around all night but were back in the morning. Kids are super excited though. I think if they stay, ok.

They moved about 10' away from pond when I cleaned the skimmer out. As soon as I walked a few feet away, they came right back.

We even got to see the male chase two other males away that flew in. We have no ducks around ever ... And now a little fight club.

I'll get some pics up today. No judging! I got the pond in last year, building out the big plants still. And this year is all about finishing up the boundary of the pond, including rocks and plants/garden. Going to be expensive and a lot of work. Already started collecting the rocks. Going to take all summer for sure...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat! I had ducks land once and move on. My pond always netted due to herons.

We never judge, do offer suggestions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Going to take all summer for sure...
They made a funny ...... My pond has easily as many linear feet of shore line. And I'm now coming into 6 years and I can start to think that I'm reaching satisfaction . I can't say done I don't know if that word will ever be a description for the pond.
20230515_163408.jpg
as far as ducks go I rescued a couple ducklings on year three I think it was. Even if a pond can't handle them long term it's well worth the effort to have them . They are so cute it's amazing and this is coming from a Harley guy.

The problem came in when it grew. When it was a baby it swam away from the fish. Darting off from one just to hit the breaks because of another. Run across the lily pas . Comical as all hell.

As it grew however it didn't run away anymore but it would reach down in the water and peck at the koi. He messed up one to the point it got infected and died.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They made a funny ...... My pond has easily as many linear feet of shore line. And I'm now coming into 6 years and I can start to think that I'm reaching satisfaction . I can't say done I don't know if that word will ever be a description for the pond. View attachment 157615as far as ducks go I rescued a couple ducklings on year three I think it was. Even if a pond can't handle them long term it's well worth the effort to have them . They are so cute it's amazing and this is coming from a Harley guy.

The problem came in when it grew. When it was a baby it swam away from the fish. Darting off from one just to hit the breaks because of another. Run across the lily pas . Comical as all hell.

As it grew however it didn't run away anymore but it would reach down in the water and peck at the koi. He messed up one to the point it got infected and died.

Alot of beautiful rocks you have! I think that is going to be the most expensive thing, hands down. I've collected some free ones here and there this past year and bought some larger pieces. I don't plan to rock the bottom... But will do the sides as best as I can and some on the 2' deep ledges. Will also do some gardening around the edges with plants that will hang into the pond / cover liner in some spots.

It's a balancing act between our budget and then just convincing the wife to buy 'rocks'. Our oldest starts kindergarten this fall and decided on private school. Never cheap! But worth it. So have to be careful this year on how much I spend on rocks.

As far as the ducks, I'm torn. I kind of like the idea they will eat the plentiful small minnows and goldfish... But just like you mentioned, afraid they may harass or injure my koi or larger goldfish. But no guarantee they will stay. So I think I'm good either way. Kids may be upset... But good way to learn you can't (and shouldn't) control nature. Let it be.... Unless it eats my fish... I'll explain that lesson if it ever happens... Haha

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They leave on and off but seem to be around earlier in the day and evening. They sit and perch at the end of my small dock. Pooped all over it, but I'm ok with it. Will see if they stick around or not. I go out to clean the skimmer and they really don't move much now. We are becoming friends.

Kids LOVE them.

Attachments

• PXL_20230525_003236685.jpg
    PXL_20230525_003236685.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have a nesting pair that returns to our yard every year. We loved seeing them on the pond - until they year they introduced a parasite to the water that killed about 70% of our fish. Since then we've allowed them to stay in the yard to nest, but they have to go elsewhere to swim.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So these two come back daily. For a lot of the day (most of the time).

I did notice I'm missing a shubunkin goldfish. I have three koi that are probably about a foot long, 3 shub goldfish that are probably 6" and then random feeder goldfish that range in size but largest probably 6". Then of course, dozens of rosy minnows.

I like to keep track of the 3 koi and 3 shubs since they are my largest. I noticed since the ducks have been around, I am missing the middle sized shub. I gave it a few days but still no sign. Water is clear and I can see to the bottom easily.

The other odd thing, the fish seem undisturbed by the ducks and still come up to dock when we are out. So doesn't appear anything tramatic happened.

Could a mallard eat roughly a 6" shubunkin goldfish? I checked film the day after I last saw him and really see nothing. I watched hours and hours of video and never saw the ducks dive under to grab any fish. Just at the surface. But I'm sure the fish swim at the top too. It's been a week so I'm thinking it isn't just hiding.

Thoughts? Should I be concerned? I was ok if they are some of the minnows or goldfish fry. Just not my bigger ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think a duck would eat a fish that big - I'm not sure he/she could swallow it.

Fish can hide for a long time so hopefully that's the case with your missing shubby.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agreed i would lean toward it's hiding, or a different predator may have got them.

Ask a Question