Lotus tank leaking!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My 75 gallon preform developed a crack (someone stepped in it). The lotus are just starting to bloom but the tank no longer holds any water and the plants show it.
I would like to remove the old pot and replace it with a stocktank.
Looking for suggestions on best way to do this. When we divided the lotus a couple of years ago, we were not able to pull all of them because of the weight so I'm concerned we won't be able to do this.
Wooden frame around old tank is rotted and will be replaced as well but got to move plants out first.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
you could always leave the old pot , and find a exact replacement and just slip it under it i it's the same you may never know it's two pots.

or build new wood container line it with fabric liner and fabric and dump the lotus into it along with the old pot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
OH YIKES. Hard to imagine that they won't have to be man/woman handled at some point. Awful that it happened during blooming :oops: Maybe some young muscles could move the tub over and then quickly erect a frame as @GBBUDD suggested, then slip a liner in quickly and GENTLY transfer them.

My tub developed a leak during winter 2 years back...what a nightmare and mine were not near as well established as yours :( Good luck.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
20240630_094022.jpg
20240630_094034.jpg
20240630_093951.jpg

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Forgot to send attachments!
Going to pull wooden frame tomorrow and remove excess rocks and dirt. See if maybe we can get a board up under it and slide it out.
Luckily I have 2 100 gallon stock tanks sitting around to hold lotuswhile we replace tank.
I'm worried about killing all the tubers by moving it this time of year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Oh if you could just get some well muscled types to lift/slide it out of there and then cut a side off maybe then they could lift/slide the whole batch into a waiting replacement tub?? Oh dear what a job.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Forgot to send attachments!
Going to pull wooden frame tomorrow and remove excess rocks and dirt. See if maybe we can get a board up under it and slide it out.
Luckily I have 2 100 gallon stock tanks sitting around to hold lotuswhile we replace tank.
I'm worried about killing all the tubers by moving it this time of year.
Just be as gentle as you can I guess, they've existed for centuries so they must be tough!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
At least I don't have to worry about damaging the tank. Have plenty of boards and heavy pipes to make a ramp. Hubby not off till Wednesday so as usual, I'm on my own.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Oh if you could just get some well muscled types to lift/slide it out of there and then cut a side off maybe then they could lift/slide the whole batch into a waiting replacement tub?? Oh dear what a job.
I don't know sounds like your stereo typing to me! Making a tripod with 3 2x4 is very easy to do then take a rope and wrap it loosely over the top and hang a pully from the rope. then use that pully with another pulley hanging off that rope as it goes back up to the first that rope you'll have to pull three times the length of what your lifting but it is so easy to do. No young muscle types needed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don't know sounds like your stereo typing to me! Making a tripod with 3 2x4 is very easy to do then take a rope and wrap it loosely over the top and hang a pully from the rope. then use that pully with another pulley hanging off that rope as it goes back up to the first that rope you'll have to pull three times the length of what your lifting but it is so easy to do. No young muscle types needed.
Damned right I'm stereotyping! I like using young muscular types cause I'm old! But, if I have to get things done then I'm not usually afraid to work. Just not strong enough sometimes anymore.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Damned right I'm stereotyping! I like using young muscular types cause I'm old! But, if I have to get things done then I'm not usually afraid to work. Just not strong enough sometimes anymore.
Trust me i hear i am by no means the guy i once was i just put a metal roof on my garage something i figured was going to be a breeze and it kicked my butt . when the panels were dust free i could just walk on it with care but after 24 hours it became a sheet of ice due to pollen on it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Trust me i hear i am by no means the guy i once was i just put a metal roof on my garage something i figured was going to be a breeze and it kicked my butt . when the panels were dust free i could just walk on it with care but after 24 hours it became a sheet of ice due to pollen on it
Damn, that sounds dangerous. Hope you came through it in one piece

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are free running on a 300 gallon stock tank, no way in this world would I be able to replace it. Almost 2 feet of litter and who knows how many tubers

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ended up having to cut up lotus into several pieces to get it out. New tank in and leveled. We moved the plants back in and filled with water. We had 1 flower and 4 buds prior to moving it.
It seems at least a couple of roots survived!
20240704_104638.jpg

Ask a Question