How to reduce the depth of my pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Told you I would just make islands even if they stay below the surface or even 3 feet deep it will add a ton of character and interest to the pond. Turn those into wetland filters and you can't go wrong the video above does similar but just to one side I'd make it four sided and it will truely be a pond people will be jealous of .

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
I found this example of turning part of a pool into a bog filter.

Adding a bog filter would be the only filtration you need.

In the end, it is your pool and pond and you can do what ever you want to do with it.

It is normal for the walls of the pond and any thing you put in it to grow a healthy living coat of life. I have not had problems with algae on my rock island waterfall on the parts that are under water. Algae does grow in the flowing stream/waterfall especially in the spring. But it is easy to scoop off. I have never had to scrub or clear the algae growing on the underwater surfaces. The bits that do grow, the fish feed on like it is a salad bar.
Interesting video, thanks for sharing! 👍🏻

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Couple of questions:

Pic 107: this is water leaking back into the pool after i'd pumped some rain back out over the top, clearly I need to fix these cracks, what should I use?

Pic 108: you can see all the discolouration - would you advise I epoxy or paint this thing to get a uniform look? Black? A colour that allows me to still easily see the fish?

Attachments

• IMG_0108.jpeg
    IMG_0108.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0107.jpeg
    IMG_0107.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 15

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Couple of questions:

Pic 107: this is water leaking back into the pool after i'd pumped some rain back out over the top, clearly I need to fix these cracks, what should I use?

Pic 108: you can see all the discolouration - would you advise I epoxy or paint this thing to get a uniform look? Black? A colour that allows me to still easily see the fish?
Looks like a question perhaps for @GBBUDD

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
With that many cracks leaking it is a sign your concrete is failing.before i spent lots of time and money trying to repair it i myself . I'.m guessing that these are not the only spots that are failing throughtout. They look from the photo to be pinholes in the concrete or is there cracks? I would probably go to a liner.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Australia
There are cracks. Is it a massive effort to line with the way it's setup?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think using crates or anything else would be a mistake. You're going to end up with a whole bunch of stagnate water that never gets any light or aeration. A breeding ground for god knows what. If it where me I would fill it with gravel so that the pond ends up about 2 1/2 ft. deep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
California, 9b
Country
United States
Level up the bottom with dirt/soil, set up a bottom drain, and install an EPDM liner.

Reaction score
I can understand your desire for a more shallow pond. My pond is 4 1/2 feet deep, which is 6 inches deeper than it should be for waders. Much bending over and you get a lap full of water inside the waders. Anything you fill in the bottom with is going to trap debris, stones more than anything else and it’s gonna be hard to get the muck out. It might be better to fill the bottom with sand and put a rubber liner over it at the that you desire.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are cracks. Is it a massive effort to line with the way it's setup?
No but for a pool size it will need a piece of equipment or like 6 men. The easier the site the less work needed.

The problem with filling in the pool with soil is the waterproof pool
Even if there are cracks and you loose water this could change with a heavy rain depending on your soils and this can lift a liner. It's called hippo . Because once the liner breaks the surface it looks like the back of a hippo. So I would be sure to keep that bottom drain clear by using stone to alow water access to the drain so you can use a pump to regulate the water below the liner.

Not sure if it was mentioned here but aquascapes placed wetland filters at the bottom of a couple pools Ohio fish being one of them and the water a pool look great in every video I have seen but who knows what they do to keep it that way

Ask a Question