Help! Tadpoles!

Vmw

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, this is the first time I’ve had this issue. Thousands of tadpoles in our pond. I guess they just hatched. We have 10 goldfish in the pond, maybe 2” long each. I don’t think the fish eat them. Any ideas for getting rid of them?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, your pond sounds busy right now! Tadpoles can be a lot when they appear in large numbers. To manage them, you could add more predators like bigger fish or amphibians. Another option is to gently scoop some out with a net if they’re really becoming a problem. Just be careful not to disrupt the pond’s balance too much. Good luck!
Can you also keep me posted in any case you took care of it in your own effective way?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well, this is the first time I’ve had this issue. Thousands of tadpoles in our pond. I guess they just hatched. We have 10 goldfish in the pond, maybe 2” long each. I don’t think the fish eat them. Any ideas for getting rid of them?
I'd just let them be as they will be gone soon. Just nature doing it's thing 🥰

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think the pond's balanced has already been disrupted with the addition of all those tadpoles. Getting rid of them would be restoring that balance, in my opinion.

With that many, they could overwhelm your filtration and you may not have enough beneficial bacteria to handle all the extra waste. I would keep a close eye on the water parameters until they are gone.

Vmw

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think the pond's balanced has already been disrupted with the addition of all those tadpoles. Getting rid of them would be restoring that balance, in my opinion.

With that many, they could overwhelm your filtration and you may not have enough beneficial bacteria to handle all the extra waste. I would keep a close eye on the water parameters until they are gone.
They have eaten all of the algae on the sides of the liner and now they are working on the bottom. There must be thousands. I’ve been trying to scoop them out with a net, they look like black dots with minuscule tails. I’m going to Petsmart tomorrow to purchase a few bigger fish. I’m thinking they mght eat them..idk..
Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
They shouldn't hurt any thing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've never had any sized goldfish eat tadpoles. They don't seem to like them. Also, adding fish without quarantining them for a period of time could be a risk to your other fish.

They really shouldn't be a problem and they won't all survive. But if you don't want them, scoop them out. If you have a kiddie pool, or some other tub of water, they could go in there.

Ask a Question