United States
Hello from Oklahoma
IMG_20230612_095153703.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So do you have any fishies in that pond? We like fishies and plants too. Tells us more...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, there a few small goldfish of various color patterns and a small high fin banded shark. In the floating flower bed, I have planted dwarf blue bells, rain lilies, pitcher plants, and aquatic mint. I also have water hyacinth. I do not recommend mint by the way. It is a little too fast growing lol. I would like to hear about yours as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes, there a few small goldfish of various color patterns and a small high fin banded shark. In the floating flower bed, I have planted dwarf blue bells, rain lilies, pitcher plants, and aquatic mint. I also have water hyacinth. I do not recommend mint by the way. It is a little too fast growing lol. I would like to hear about yours as well.
I have only fantails and shubunkin goldfishes but they sure are pretty. And I also have pitcher plants and find them fascinating. No mint but quite a few hostas, creeping jenny, calla lilies and in warm weather I have water hyacinths. I try all kinds of stuff out in my bog just to see what works.
Post more photos when you can.

Attachments

• P1080711.JPG
    P1080711.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 4

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Hi Keith! I think we're at the same latitude, though I'm guessing Oklahoma gets more temperature extremes, being landlocked. But if it stays above freezing all winter, you may be able to grow all sorts of "indoor" plants in your pond.

I've had success with spathiphyllum (peace lily), and a few other plants with similar needs. My latest experiment is with pineapple (which may not belong on pizza, but seems to enjoy being in a pond). I just cut off the tops of pineapples from the supermarket and stuck them in the pond. Here's a photo of my pond with pineapple in the foreground and peace lily among the rocks to the left of the waterfall.

pond_at_night_December_2023.jpg

The plants trailing down the falls are bacopa, and those in the stream above the falls are acorus and water iris. There's also one water lily that's still blooming profusely, though with the colder temperatures, it's blooming in slow motion -- two or three weeks for a blossom to open, and then it stays open most of the night.

Cheers from Israel!

-Yael

Ask a Question