Has anyone started up their lotus yet?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have potted seedlings in 2 1/2 gallon and 5 gallonbuckets as a temporary pot
These are the new tubers I just got
Oh nice, they look ready for action! Is that their natural color or did they get coated with something?
The other tubers I have are roughly the same size as my potted one. So even if it's temporary, for like a month or so, it should be fine?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
No special coating, packaged well.
I don't report mine once they start growing I had several get to full size and bloom in 5 gallon buckets. Sold quite a few.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
I h ave all mine outside. So far, no growth.
The 2 floating lotus planters that I left in the pond all winter both have 4-5 aerial leaves. Am holding off on ferts for another week. Water temp 57 degrees . Chilly

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just repotted mine this past weekend. It had some growing tips starting to put out shoots
Is it okay to add clay to the top of the lotus container with a few small rocks to hold the dirt down? I did that and had to remove the container from the pond and put it on my deck where it will get much more sun. I'm hoping the lack of sun is the reason it hasn't done well despite looking great when I bought it.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is it okay to add clay to the top of the lotus container with a few small rocks to hold the dirt down? I did that and had to remove the container from the pond and put it on my deck where it will get much more sun. I'm hoping the lack of sun is the reason it hasn't done well despite looking great when I bought it.
What is the reason for adding the clay? Lotus roots do not like to be disturbed once they are growing. How long have you had the plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've had the plant about 3 weeks. And my memory is so bad that I can't remember why I added the clay, but I don't think I would have added it without some reason. It's too late now, because the clay is on top. I may have overfertilized it, too. I'm a bad lotus mom.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are there aerial leaves on it? If not then maybe the fertilizer is the issue. Mine were slow to start this year but once they start sending leaves above the water, I fertilize heavy every other week.

Ask a Question