Hamstermann's pond build

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i had one boulder that was a challenge to get in place i had to swing and drop the boom at the same time on the all terrain folk truck. as the move intentionally was throwing the boulder the last 6 inches while swinging it that did pull the machine over but th boom prevented it from going anywhere. it's nice when you can reach or access all around the pond i only had access on one side so the reach was 40' away with the bench rock over by the ferns.

if your pond is under 3000 gallons then i would only push 2500 to 3000 gph through the bog 6k maybe too much volume to allow bacteria to do it's thing. the bog is 20'8 and it receives around 6k

ok it's 6 am in Utah where's our pics

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Exciting day! DAY 1 of living the life style. depending how bad the herons are in your area i would make a channel where your fish can swim all the way back to your water fall. one aspect everyone seems to like when they see my pond is watching the fish swim out of the main pond and go through my "dead pool" they seem to play . that or having the water drop like its a real stream making a little white water and current. but keep in mind this is a dangerous pace for the fish if you have predator's but watching the fish swim in inches of water is pretty wild

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i noticed you planted camelion plant in your bog i would definately pull this one and make its way to the TRASH CAN NOT THE COMPOST

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Congratulations on filling the pond, a big step. Looks great. Getting the edging and planting done is the fun part.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree! I can't wait to plant all the things we bought yesterday. I'm trying to use perennials around the pond that can survive on little to no water once established, so we've got things like salvia, coneflower, sage, rudbeckia, lavender, etc.

I just need to keep them alive and healthy in their pots in the heat outside until I can get to it. It's supposed to be near 100 degrees fahrenheit for the next several days. Should be interesting to see if I can do it while handling everything else like moving the monster sized rocks that are too big for the pond, finishing the plumbing, installing the solar lights, finishing the rocking, and edging. Kind of wish I had control of the thermostat for the weather in my yard. 😁

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Interesting. Have you tried coral bells in a bog? The video suggested that instead of chameleon plant.
I have not, but i do have some monster peachy tan corabels that i love but they burn out in the summer, so i may try bringing one up to the waters edge and let the roots suck up some water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
should have grabbed the bigger excavator to set the rocks , the guys who came to right it had to be impressed what you did with it.

what did they tag you for the righting of the machine day rental for both?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not, but i do have some monster peachy tan corabels that i love but they burn out in the summer, so i may try bringing one up to the waters edge and let the roots suck up some water
Cool! I can't wait to hear and see how it goes if you try it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
should have grabbed the bigger excavator to set the rocks , the guys who came to right it had to be impressed what you did with it.

what did they tag you for the righting of the machine day rental for both?
Righting it was free and they didn't charge me for them going to get the bigger machine. I ended up paying another day's rental (so two total) because they couldn't come out until after the time the machine I rented was due. I was hoping the rental employees at the store would take pity on me for having to wait for the repair guys to come, but no dice. That's fair enough though. I was the one who tipped it, they shouldn't have to lose money because of that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Righting it was free and they didn't charge me for them going to get the bigger machine. I ended up paying another day's rental (so two total) because they couldn't come out until after the time the machine I rented was due. I was hoping the rental employees at the store would take pity on me for having to wait for the repair guys to come, but no dice. That's fair enough though. I was the one who tipped it, they shouldn't have to lose money because of that.
long story short your ok , maybe a little bruised pride, but you and the pond are ok , i'm amazed you didn't have a hydrolic leak into the pond requiring a rubadubdub

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Really coming together nicely. The plantings will come along, it can always be hit or miss as to what takes and what doesn't. Also hard to resist the temptation of having an "instant" garden, because you know the plants will grow and fill in the space. For floating plants, I really like the water hyacinth. I know everyone said they spread, but wow to see it in action is pretty cool. Maybe it is a coincidence but once I put it in the water did start clearing up. The fish like playing around with it and going at the roots, so they do push it around the pond. I forget, are you planning on getting fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Really coming together nicely. The plantings will come along, it can always be hit or miss as to what takes and what doesn't. Also hard to resist the temptation of having an "instant" garden, because you know the plants will grow and fill in the space. For floating plants, I really like the water hyacinth. I know everyone said they spread, but wow to see it in action is pretty cool. Maybe it is a coincidence but once I put it in the water did start clearing up. The fish like playing around with it and going at the roots, so they do push it around the pond. I forget, are you planning on getting fish?
Hyacinth! That was the name I couldn't remember! Thanks!

I have 3 sarassas and 3 Shubunkin in there now. They're only 3 or 4 inches but I know they'll get to about a foot each. Other than maybe some gambusia, that's about all I'm going to put in there so that I can try to keep the bio load low.

I hear you on the instant garden. I planted most of the plants I have in the bog and ran direct drip to a lot of them. Almost time for mulch! I might do the mulching today, in fact.

Ask a Question