Foamy water

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Noticing more and more foamy water coming out of the discharge pipe from filter to pond. The water that comes out looks quite sudsy and the foam remains on the surface, with some of it making it’s way to other parts of the pond. It’s not too terrible (yet) but I was wondering if anyone could give me some idea why the filtered water returning to the pond would be foamy. Thank for your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I am no expert, for sure, but I seem to recall reading that phosphates can be the cause of foam - and that phosphates come from decaying matter? Don't take my work for it but I thought I would respond. Others will see this and chime in as well. When you say "foam," I think of a soap suds look. I know sometimes bubbles can result from the protein of a spawn - have you had a lot of chasing going on?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This time of year it may just be spawning from fish.

Second possibilty is build up of proteins from overfeeding, stocking or debris in the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I saw that the surface of my water was foamy a couple of weeks ago. I instantly thought that it may be a sign that something fell into my pond and drowned. Yep....a baby bunny....It was so sad...I think it thought the lily pads were firm ground...I am still sick over it...You might want to check the bottom to make sure that you do not have a scenario such as that...

Ask a Question