Filter on filter off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our garden pond is about 1000 litres capacity. its been established for about 5 years. it is home to 6 goldfish. It has a pressurized filter system with a 11 watt clarifyer. In the sales i managed to get an identical filter system at a bargain price, ( not just for spare parts), it was handy for an instant swap of media and filters. However, the ballast on my original clarifyer died and i had to use the spare ballast as a replacement.
In a flash of inspiration, i decided to install the other system as an independent filter, albiet without a clarifyer. It has its own pump and outfall back into the pond.
At night we turn this filter off, my reckoning being that as it is an extra filter, twice the amount of water is being cleaned during the day. And therefore, being off at night (for about 10 hours) shouldn't make any difference to the bacteria. My wife disagrees...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would agree with your wife.
First of all filters lie in my eyes if it says good 1000 it's only good for half or 2/3 of what they recomend.
Shutting it off the o2 will be deleted and you will start to add dead waste to the pond. Don't forget plants switch to breathing oxygen at night

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. The filter bacteria need the oxygen to survive and perform optimally. A canister filter is especially vulnerable without flow. I was trying to think of a way for you to spin this without admitting she was right...drawing a blank. ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
_FROGAN13.gif
@newfishguy
Run filters 24/7! Otherwise be like, "let's not flush our toilet till it's been sitting full for awhile",
eeeew.gif

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First of all filters lie in my eyes if it says good 1000 it's only good for half or 2/3 of what they recomend.
Shutting it off the o2 will be deleted and you will start to add dead waste to the pond. Don't forget plants switch to breathing oxygen at night

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum. The filter bacteria need the oxygen to survive and perform optimally. A canister filter is especially vulnerable without flow. I was trying to think of a way for you to spin this without admitting she was right...drawing a blank. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
no text came through or was this just a thumbs up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would agree with your wife. First of all filters lie in my eyes if it says good 1000 it's only good for half or 2/3 of what they recomend. Shutting it off the o2 will be deleted and you will start to add dead waste to the pond. Don't forget plants switch to breathing oxygen at night
I would agree with your wife. First of all filters lie in my eyes if it says good 1000 it's only good for half or 2/3 of what they recomend. Shutting it off the o2 will be deleted and you will start to add dead waste to the pond. Don't forget plants switch to breathing oxygen at night
Thanks for replying. The filter says its good for 3-5 thousand litres, so i think just using the original filter should be enough. I will stop using the other filter completely. The pond condition was fine before i installed the second filter, and maybe even more so if i didn't turn it off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for replying. i didn't realize that the bacteria would die overnight. I 'll remove the other filter, it was just going to be doubling up the filtering, but in reality it has probaby doubled up the algae bloom we have. Looking back we didn't have the algae before the second filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would leave them both. I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as too much filtration.

Many here have multiple filters. I can't see a downside to keeping them both.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for that. As you say there' s no such thing as to much filtration, what about uv. Can you overdo the uv in a system?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Personally, I believe any UV is too much UV. That UV light is killing every single cell organism in your pond that passes by. It’s useful for floating single cell algae, but that’s it. And what’s your left with is a lot floating dead algae, which guess what? Feeds more algae.

Ask a Question