addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My creeping jenny spreads a minimum of 2 feet each shoot every year it ads up alright. im in 6b and as long as it has water or grows and grows.

On my stone wall i placed a rubber liner that had some punctures so water will slowly bleed out on the top trench. Then filled it with top soil and plants that like shade and moisture. ie creeping jenny

@addy1 do you have the green or the yellow?
I have both.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I live in mid-Missouri. I never planted a single start of this stuff. Once fall began, I started seeing the creeping Jenny. It found it's way to my pond edge. It then grew right into the water.

I read up about the plant, and it seems to grow in, under, and around the water. It's doing a great job of that just in the last couple months.

Should I fear this plant?

View attachment 135533
It's capable of spreading over your whole lawn, so if that's what you're afraid of then yeah you might should be fearful.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Creeping Jenny is nice and pretty but it is definitely creepy at times! It is cousin to the eggplant that ate Chicago :p

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I pulled out so much creeping Jenny this year - she gets her name for a reason. Like @GBBUDD mentioned, creeping Jenny will will the battle against most any other plant so if it's happy around your pond, you'll need to contain it. Mine is generally more yellow because it grows in the sun - the parts that grow in the shade are the deeper green.

Here's the mass I removed this spring - left just a few sprigs so I'm sure I'll be at it again next year. It is a great ground cover that you can walk on with no worries about damaging it.
View attachment 164333
BUT IT DOES LOOK MARVELOUS

Ask a Question