Bog plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys. New here posting, but have read many threads over the years.

Looking to add a shallow bog adjacent to the current diy aquascape style bog.

Issue being the current bog is in a somewhat shaded area underneath a magnolia tree and I'm looking to get a bog in a sunnier area that can get taller plants involved with the pond that will compliment the rest of the area.

I believe this bog will help with excess nutrients and the other larger bog will be the main filter mechanically and biologically. It's planted, but not entirely. It's a new pond only a couple years old and am having issues with algae. I dont necessarily hate the algae look, I think it looks natural honestly and have come accustomed to it, or maybe that's just coping lol.

So I guess essentially I'm looking for ideas and experiences with plants that grow well in a bog but with a high attitude that won't propagate itself in areas I don't care for it to. Cattails, for example, would be great but from what I've read they will just get out of hand over time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm in zone 5 illinois. I've been looking at obedient plant and it seems like a good fit, what do you think? Native plants would be cool, but I'm open to whatever will survive deep colds.

Anthony

Reaction score
Country
United States
Figured I should add a photo. New bog would be near/ under the hammock.
20230220_161444.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a great little oasis!!!! I love obedient plant!
Thanks! Has been an especially pleasant day today with the sun showing its face proudly and loudly, beating along my tiresome cheeks.

You think obedient plant would do well? Thanks again!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There are other plants that grow faster than obedient it is a very pretty plant but likes more sun. Water cress , water celery, For get me knots, monkey fist and anything in the mint line grow a demand more nutrients because they grow so fast.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are other plants that grow faster than obedient it is a very pretty plant but likes more sun. Water cress , water celery, For get me knots, monkey fist and anything in the mint line grow a demand more nutrients because they grow so fast.
Haven’t heard of monkey fist before, these all sound like good options for accent plants around a focal central plant, as these are lower growing no?

I'd like to plant something more in your face and tall, but do you think fast growing plants would benefit this layout better?

Btw your pond, diary, and advice has reached me throughout this process, and I appreciate you documenting it. Absolute gorgeous area you've created.

It has only been very recently that I've actually enjoyed my time near this hole I've dug. It's usually me looking over and criticizing the things I could have done differently or maybe worse the things I will do differently.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Haven’t heard of monkey fist before, these all sound like good options for accent plants around a focal central plant, as these are lower growing no?

I'd like to plant something more in your face and tall, but do you think fast growing plants would benefit this layout better?

Btw your pond, diary, and advice has reached me throughout this process, and I appreciate you documenting it. Absolute gorgeous area you've created.

It has only been very recently that I've actually enjoyed my time near this hole I've dug. It's usually me looking over and criticizing the things I could have done differently or maybe worse the things I will do differently.
WATER CRESS CAN GET TALLER as can mint . the others are mid low growers up to a foot tall

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
ANYTHING you grow in a bog can get out of hand... the real question is how hard is it to get/keep under control. The plants with shallow root systems are always easy to yank and thin - water cress, any of the mint or wort plants, etc. But most of those stay relatively low compared to obedient plant for example. And don't let that name fool you - obedient plant gets its name from the fact that you can gently bend the stems and they will stay and grow in that configuration. But they will indeed propagate themselves if you allow it. I do love them though - the flowers are so pretty!

Anyway - look at some of the lobelias - cardinal flower will attract hummingbirds like crazy! - lizard tongue, arum plants, etc. Your shallow growing conditions will make it a bit easier to contain anything you plant. For example, I have horsetail rush growing in a shallow stream - I would never plant it in my deep bog. It will try to jump ship and get into the landscape, but in a shallow planting situation you can easily lift the whole clump and chop it up and essentially start it new every year and stay ahead of it.

There are mini cattail varieties that stay very contained and are fun to grow. Mine don't always produce "cats" but they give a nice vertical element to a space.

I grow hostas right in my pond in shallow areas - they do great and don't even mind if it's sunnier than they would usually enjoy because they have a constant water source.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ANYTHING you grow in a bog can get out of hand... the real question is how hard is it to get/keep under control. The plants with shallow root systems are always easy to yank and thin - water cress, any of the mint or wort plants, etc. But most of those stay relatively low compared to obedient plant for example. And don't let that name fool you - obedient plant gets its name from the fact that you can gently bend the stems and they will stay and grow in that configuration. But they will indeed propagate themselves if you allow it. I do love them though - the flowers are so pretty!

Anyway - look at some of the lobelias - cardinal flower will attract hummingbirds like crazy! - lizard tongue, arum plants, etc. Your shallow growing conditions will make it a bit easier to contain anything you plant. For example, I have horsetail rush growing in a shallow stream - I would never plant it in my deep bog. It will try to jump ship and get into the landscape, but in a shallow planting situation you can easily lift the whole clump and chop it up and essentially start it new every year and stay ahead of it.

There are mini cattail varieties that stay very contained and are fun to grow. Mine don't always produce "cats" but they give a nice vertical element to a space.

I grow hostas right in my pond in shallow areas - they do great and don't even mind if it's sunnier than they would usually enjoy because they have a constant water source.
Nice thanks for that writeup! I was definitely looking at cardinal flower as well.

I've read horsetail can be a nightmare, seems you've tamed it lol. I would love cattails, but am hesitant with all the seeds propagating. I'll look into some mini varieties you mention.

Ah hostas, had no idea or even crossed my mind they would do well there. I think I'll plant some around the borders. Do you have them in gravel or just free floating?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys. New here posting, but have read many threads over the years.

Looking to add a shallow bog adjacent to the current diy aquascape style bog.

Issue being the current bog is in a somewhat shaded area underneath a magnolia tree and I'm looking to get a bog in a sunnier area that can get taller plants involved with the pond that will compliment the rest of the area.

I believe this bog will help with excess nutrients and the other larger bog will be the main filter mechanically and biologically. It's planted, but not entirely. It's a new pond only a couple years old and am having issues with algae. I dont necessarily hate the algae look, I think it looks natural honestly and have come accustomed to it, or maybe that's just coping lol.

So I guess essentially I'm looking for ideas and experiences with plants that grow well in a bog but with a high attitude that won't propagate itself in areas I don't care for it to. Cattails, for example, would be great but from what I've read they will just get out of hand over time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm in zone 5 illinois. I've been looking at obedient plant and it seems like a good fit, what do you think? Native plants would be cool, but I'm open to whatever will survive deep colds.

Anthony
How exciting!! I'm currently considering adding on to my pond as well. As for experiences with pond plants, I've found about all will eventually spread if there not separated each year. I currently have sweet flag, pickerel and horsetail in my bog and will definitely remove the horsetail in early spring due to excessive spreading. Although the Blue Iris and Taro are gorgeous plants, they also require yearly maintenance.

Good Luck!!

Reaction score
Country
United States

COMPLETELY AGREE!! When I was a newbie I didn't believe everything I heard about pond plants growing so fast and within a year or two after looking at my pond, I realized the advice was indeed true. Regardless of which plants are used, maintenance is a must.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Everything I put in my bog gets eaten - except for the mint, which wandered in there on its own. All these wonderful suggestions are making me want to try again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Also, dwarf papyrus did well in mine and the deer left them alone. They are an annual here, though. But they looked so cool, I don't mind buying them each year!

Ask a Question