Bluegill? Personality?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Anyone got bluegill in their pond? I asked a buddy to grab me a few bluegills if they could to keep my minnow population in check since the koi and goldfish just were not eating them. I had maybe 500 babies swimming around... different sized groups.

One survived. He should be the 'wildest' of my fish since the others were all bought from a store. He has now become in the past month, like a puppy... following me all around the pond. I was redoing some hoses before fall and sure enough .. he's right by my hand watching... swimming around... not a care in the world. I even had to push him out of the way a few times. He doesn't even flinch.

I had my feet in a little bit ago and he was just hanging out. Nipped my toe once... I pushed him away with my feet a few times too. Again, no flinch.

He cracks me up. He is like my late dog... follows me around and is right there with everything I do.

Just curious if anyone else has had a bluegill in their pond and how they acted?

He gets along with the other fish. The koi actually harass him more then he does them. He does eat the minnows though... actively hunting and waiting for them to get close enough. Doing his job!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
blue sunny or croppy for the most part even a bass once they know you and see you bring food they should all act similarly.
My koi do that to me now

Ask a Question