Bluegill Aquaculture and Bog Filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone!!!

I have always been interested in aquaculture and aquaponics and being a little more self reliant for food sources. One of my next projects I'm interested in starting is a bluegill fish pond w/ a bog filter and maybe some floating aquaponics veggies. I've been researching everything I can but some questions I've posted to Google are too specific and I'm not pulling up answers.

First, here is my plan:

Fish pond made from an old above ground pool. I would start with 75-100 fingerlings. In the pool I'll make sure to have some plants and spawning areas for reproduction. Then on the side I was planning a 275 ibc tote bog filter. Bottom approximate 1 ft of ibc tote will be a false bottom with multiple dispersal pipes for the inflow and I'll have a valve on the bottom of the tote for the clean out. Then about 1.5-2 ft of lava rock for plenty of room for a healthy bioculture and to take up some space. Then the top will be gravel to put all my plants in.

My questions are:

"What can I do better?"
"Should I add a second bog filter? Maybe a 55 gallon drum?"
"Also, I live in Southern Utah. My temperatures range from 100-23 depending on the season and day. What bog plants are good with temperature variations like that?"

Attachments

• 100102.jpeg
    100102.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!!!

I have always been interested in aquaculture and aquaponics and being a little more self reliant for food sources. One of my next projects I'm interested in starting is a bluegill fish pond w/ a bog filter and maybe some floating aquaponics veggies. I've been researching everything I can but some questions I've posted to Google are too specific and I'm not pulling up answers.

First, here is my plan:

Fish pond made from an old above ground pool. I would start with 75-100 fingerlings. In the pool I'll make sure to have some plants and spawning areas for reproduction. Then on the side I was planning a 275 ibc tote bog filter. Bottom approximate 1 ft of ibc tote will be a false bottom with multiple dispersal pipes for the inflow and I'll have a valve on the bottom of the tote for the clean out. Then about 1.5-2 ft of lava rock for plenty of room for a healthy bioculture and to take up some space. Then the top will be gravel to put all my plants in.

My questions are:

"What can I do better?"
"Should I add a second bog filter? Maybe a 55 gallon drum?"
"Also, I live in Southern Utah. My temperatures range from 100-23 depending on the season and day. What bog plants are good with temperature variations like that?"

Reaction score
I don’t know how big your pond is but 75 to 100 fingerlings is a lot of fish. You need to balance the size of your pond to the number of fish. that formula is available online.
Otherwise, it sounds well thawed out

Ask a Question