Bloated Comet

Reaction score
Hi, We have one Comet Goldfish that has blown up like a puffer fish. Does anyone know what would cause this and what would be the treatment. If there is one. Thank you.

Attachments

• 91DEDE68-2DD5-44DD-A2FD-D7307DD40B86.png
    91DEDE68-2DD5-44DD-A2FD-D7307DD40B86.png
    283.6 KB · Views: 52

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So, bloated, but no apparent pineconing — might rule out “dropsy.” How long has it been like this? Have you noticed any spawning behavior? Could be an egg-bound female. Could be a tumor, but tumors tend to be asymmetrical (both sides look different).

Reaction score
So, bloated, but no apparent pineconing — might rule out “dropsy.” How long has it been like this? Have you noticed any spawning behavior? Could be an egg-bound female. Could be a tumor, but tumors tend to be asymmetrical (both sides look different).
After catching the fish and being able to see the fish close up. It’s more than obvious the fish has Dropsy. It’s my understanding that once the fish gets to this stage the chances of recovery isn’t good.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
gets to this stage the chances of recovery isn’t good.

Sad to say, but that's true. You can choose to just let nature take it's course or put the fish down.

Dropsy isn't really a disease - it's a symptom and can be caused by a number of issues. You can check the fish to see if there are signs of infection or parasite, but you may never know what actually caused it.

Reaction score
Sad to say, but that's true. You can choose to just let nature take it's course or put the fish down.

Dropsy isn't really a disease - it's a symptom and can be caused by a number of issues. You can check the fish to see if there are signs of infection or parasite, but you may never know what actually caused it.
Right I’ve been doing some reading about this. The symptom could be caused by a number of things. I treat our pond with beneficial bacteria and it is double filtered and has a UV light in one of the filters so it’s hard to say what has caused this. I went ahead and added Epson Salt but I honestly don’t think it’s going to have much effect. The fish is still eating but I can see it’s starting to become lethargic. I may decide to put it down once it becomes obvious the end is near but I would like to give it every opportunity to recover. Even though I don’t believe that to be possible at this point.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Just so you know - neither added bacteria or UV filtration would make a difference in this situation. (Not a big proponent of either to be honest.) Sometimes things just happen with fish.

If you do want to attempt to treat the fish I would suggest doing it in a separate tank. No need to affect the entire pond unless you feel you have a whole pond problem.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Also, not sure that Epsom salt is the best thing to add to your pond. Even regular salt is best used as a treatment in a quarantine tank, not used to treat an entire pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi, We have one Comet Goldfish that has blown up like a puffer fish. Does anyone know what would cause this and what would be the treatment. If there is one. Thank you.
I’m guessing it has swim bladder disease. Try isolating it and feed it peas for a week!

Ask a Question