Bloat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all
I have a 700 litre upright pond which I've managed for two years. I have 6 small goldfish and all seem happy and healthy apart from one with bloat. He's eating and very lively but it's upsetting to see him. I can't isolate him but have treated the water with antibiotic, water levels all fine, but he's had this for a week and no improvement! Does anyone have any suggestions. I am in the process of buying a salt meter and will try salt. Am at a loss as what to do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Never add antibiotics to the pond. That can kill the beneficial bacteria in the filter and your pond will have to cycle again. If you need to treat with antibiotics, put the fish in a hospital tank and treat it there.

Same with salt treatment. Do a salt dip. After treating you can put the fish back in the pond.

Unfortunately, if this is true bloat and the fish is pineconing, there is little to be done. The kidneys are shutting down and that can't be reversed.

If the fish is bloated with eggs, they will expell them during spawning. No treatment necessary.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. It's sad to hear but the local aquarium told me to add antibiotics. Anyhow I had almost accepted the fish would die. Thank you for your advice regarding salt too.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have had fish that bloat up, get lumps, bumps etc. and if they are still swimming around, eating and enjoying being alive I just let them be to live out their lives. Many live for several years and don't appear to be suffering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you. I am hoping this will be the case. Id hate to see it suffer as I understand not much can be done if the bloat is intrinsic to the fish and even if it's a parasite etc once it has got to the stage of the bloat I am limited to what I could do. I'm hoping you're right 👍

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had fish that bloat up, get lumps, bumps etc. and if they are still swimming around, eating and enjoying being alive I just let them be to live out their lives. Many live for several years and don't appear to be suffering.
Thank you j.w

I'm a bit more hopeful now.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@ellebea If it gets to the point where you think your fish truely is suffering, there are ways to humanely euthanize them.
Thank you. Strangely, it is acting completely normal and eating. I've fed it peas and it seemed to eat quite a bit but even though it is acting normally it is still bloated and it's eye is very red, so not normal really. It's sad as he's my favourite. How would one euthanise if it ever gets to that point?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you. Strangely, it is acting completely normal and eating. I've fed it peas and it seemed to eat quite a bit but even though it is acting normally it is still bloated and it's eye is very red, so not normal really. It's sad as he's my favourite. How would one euthanise if it ever gets to that point?

Ask a Question