Are All Waterfall Foams The Same?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got another long thread already started on my new pondless waterfall build. It's almost time for me to purchase some black foam and start sealing things up for a "test run" of my main stream.

I've searched here and Googled but can't find any actual comparisons on the many different brands of waterfall foam. Aquascape of course always comes up, but all the pro builders I've seen using it seem to be sponsored by Aquascape. It's also the most expensive.

I've found various online sites that have some much less expensive foam, e.g., "Half Off Ponds" has a 6 pack of 24oz foam for only $64... would need to also purchase an applicator gun, but still much less expensive than Aquascape's 24oz cans.

Is paying the premium price worth it in the long run? Are all these various foams actually the same basic products? 🤔

Anyone that's experienced poor performance on cheaper brands please chime in, as I really need to make a decision soon. My instinct says just go ahead and get the Aquascape brand, but I'm already WAAAAAY over budget on this build! Lol

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
but all the pro builders I've seen using it seem to be sponsored by Aquascape.
If your a CNC POND BUILDER YOU HAVE TO USE THEIR PRODUCT EXCLUSIVELY if you want to remain a certified pond builder, Small price to ask. ALL FOAM IS NOT THE SAME, I have used them all or close to it , i recommend buying your top three or four brands and buy only one of each. see for yourself which is best, then order more. I ALSO STRONGLY RECOMEND A BOX OF RAGS, a PRO FOAM GUN , AND A BOX OF NITRILE GLOVES. YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY GO THROUGH A CASE OF FOAM EASILY.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your a CNC POND BUILDER YOU HAVE TO USE THEIR PRODUCT EXCLUSIVELY if you want to remain a certified pond builder, Small price to ask. ALL FOAM IS NOT THE SAME, I have used them all or close to it , i recommend buying your top three or four brands and buy only one of each. see for yourself which is best, then order more. I ALSO STRONGLY RECOMEND A BOX OF RAGS, a PRO FOAM GUN , AND A BOX OF NITRILE GLOVES. YOU WILL MORE THAN LIKELY GO THROUGH A CASE OF FOAM EASILY.
In your humble opinion, what are the top 3 brands?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aquascape , i never said what a rip off for the extra money so it had to be ok , im ptretty sure easy pro was ok but i think handi foam i was questioning but i cant be sure. like i said buy one of each for the gun 24 or 32 oz sizes and never leave the gun without a foam canister on it . EVEN IF THE CANISTER IS EMPTY LEAVE IT ON THE GUN the gun will not need internal cleaning. don't ask me why this works it just does. a utility knife across the top of the tip to remove dried foam is all you need

Reaction score
Country
United States
Aquascape , i never said what a rip off for the extra money so it had to be ok , im ptretty sure easy pro was ok but i think handi foam i was questioning but i cant be sure. like i said buy one of each for the gun 24 or 32 oz sizes and never leave the gun without a foam canister on it . EVEN IF THE CANISTER IS EMPTY LEAVE IT ON THE GUN the gun will not need internal cleaning. don't ask me why this works it just does. a utility knife across the top of the tip to remove dried foam is all you need
It seems that Easy Pro is only available in a self application can (can't use a gun),.. but it also says "minimally expanding",.. I can see that being a good thing in some cases, but is that something I should be concerned with at all?

I know this seems very trivial to a seasoned pond/waterfall builder, but I'm just trying to not make any more mistakes, or at least not waste money.

Thanks again sir

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You will suck up many cans worth of foam.

An y foam that expands more than you want leave it alone untill it is dry then use a chisel or putty knife or multi tool to shape the foam

Ask a Question