Applied Tetra AlgoRem to pond, 12hrs later almost all fish dead.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If Algorem is a flocculant then why would time of day matter?
Any other flocculant (alum, gypsum, montmorillonite) can be applied whenever it is convenient. Light and/or temperature will not affect the performance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If Algorem is a flocculant then why would time of day matter?
Any other flocculant (alum, gypsum, montmorillonite) can be applied whenever it is convenient. Light and/or temperature will not affect the performance.

The instuctions on the container very clearly state that the treatment hould be applied to the pond in the morning am not in the pm Meyer. It also clearly goes on to say that one should add extra airtones to the pond when using it ...
It goes on to further to [very clearly] state that after mixing the liquid AlgoRem together with pond water it should be applied to the ponds surface with a watering can.
Unless you have a bottom drain as I have it is then advisable to net out the clumps of algae from the side of the pond
it further states one should keep an eye on the pond and should the fish start to gasp trasfer them to a QT fasility soonest.
[I would hazzard a guess this would happen if the pond does not have adequate air at the time of application or if used at the wrong time i;e during the heat of the afternoon/evening].......
It is safe for fish and plants but not for sturgeon

Dave

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The instuctions on the container very clearly state that the treatment hould be applied to the pond in the morning am not in the pm Meyer. It also clearly goes on to say that one should add extra airtones to the pond when using it ...
It goes on to further to [very clearly] state that after mixing the liquid AlgoRem together with pond water it should be applied to the ponds surface with a watering can.
Unless you have a bottom drain as I have it is then advisable to net out the clumps of algae from the side of the pond
it further states one should keep an eye on the pond and should the fish start to gasp trasfer them to a QT fasility soonest.
[I would hazzard a guess this would happen if the pond does not have adequate air at the time of application or if used at the wrong time i;e during the heat of the afternoon/evening].......
It is safe for fish and plants but not for sturgeon

Dave

I have also read the label.
This is where I have an issue with this product (and many others). It is apparently not just a flocculant given the fact that its use may severely affect the Oxygen level in the pond being treated and, given the manufacturer's caveat on sturgeons, that it is not entirely safe for fish.
Add to this the admonition that this product should be administered in the morning. This apparently does not refer to water temperature because the daytime temperature in the early Spring would be the close to the nighttime temperature in late Summer.
Not enough information is supplied for this product. As was stated in a previous post, the MSDS for this product does not list the ingredients and on ecological toxicity states "No information available". This statement on ecological toxicity is a contradiction for if "No information is available" then how is it known that this product is not safe for sturgeons?
Others may do what they feel comfortable with but I would certainly not use this product unless considerable more information was forthcoming.

Ask a Question