An Idea for Protecting Fish From Predators

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
A blue heron has eaten about four of my goldies. I'm afraid I'm going to have to put up a net. A net would definitely prevent the predators from getting my fish, but a net requires constant attention, and is in the way of cleaning and just enjoying my pond.

I have an idea.

My fish like to swim and congregate in the spaces under flat rocks resting on round rocks in the bottom of the pond. See the photo below. So, if I add more of these flat rock shelters, wouldn't that offer the fish additional places to hide from predators?
20240919_131152_resized.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hiding places are a good idea, however herons are patient hunters and will wait for them to come out. They also are able to regurgitate and the fish think it's food and come out. Honestly a net is the best protection.

We built a raised " hoop house" using electrical conduit over our pond and it allowed us to be inside and under the net more easily. The wide weave net we chose really didn't block our view.

Ask a Question