Additional Filtration Question

Reaction score
Everything is moving along. Today I purchased my tank and light grid for my build. It seems everyone uses 1 and 1/2" pvc piping so i will do the same. I plan on running 1 1/2" flex tubing from my pond pump to the UV pressure filter i currently have. Then running the same flex tubing from the pressure filter output over to the new 100 gallon stocktank filter input and then using a weir to have the water re-enter the pond. My questions are:

1) Is there any problem with using the flex tubing instead of hard pipe?

2) I have a laguna maxflo 2900 gph pump (. Will that be enough pump to pump through 2 filters and still create a nice waterfall. My pond is approximately 1300 gallons if that matters. Or am i better off getting a 2nd pump and running the waterfall and stocktank filter on 1 pump and using the 2nd pump for the pressure filter.

3) what material can I use to make the weir and where can I get it?

4) Also I noticed that a drain for back flushing is built into the stock tank. Why not use the drain that already comes in the tank?

Thanks so much in advance

Brian

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
racerx1119 said:
Everything is moving along. Today I purchased my tank and light grid for my build. It seems everyone uses 1 and 1/2" pvc piping so i will do the same. I plan on running 1 1/2" flex tubing from my pond pump to the UV pressure filter i currently have. Then running the same flex tubing from the pressure filter output over to the new 100 gallon stocktank filter input and then using a weir to have the water re-enter the pond. My questions are:

1) Is there any problem with using the flex tubing instead of hard pipe?

actually as long as you can get a good seal on any connections flex tubing is better as it has better flow rate as the turns sweep and don't 90.

2) I have a laguna maxflo 2900 gph pump (. Will that be enough pump to pump through 2 filters and still create a nice waterfall. My pond is approximately 1300 gallons if that matters. Or am i better off getting a 2nd pump and running the waterfall and stocktank filter on 1 pump and using the 2nd pump for the pressure filter.

that pump will probably do but a second pump keeps the pond working if one goes out and gives you a little extra time as it will keep oxygen going until repairs are made

3) what material can I use to make the weir and where can I get it?

check with KoiGuy1969, he sells weirs in the classifieds,

4) Also I noticed that a drain for back flushing is built into the stock tank. Why not use the drain that already comes in the tank?

Why not use both, any place that the muck can settle and you can flush it out is better for the overall performance of the filters

Thanks so much in advance

Brian

hope this helps!

Ask a Question