What's wrong with my fish?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this morning I noticed the filter system had stopped. Turned out to be bunged up pipe which I cleared. Coincidentally two of my large ghost carp were dead. I thought maybe weather pressure or lack of oxygen but when I removed them I saw white patches on the bodies and sort of pale pinkish areas like bruises, one fish had white stuff on its mouth, can anyone help with this and what should I do.
Many thanks

Attachments

• 20210604_093112.jpg
    20210604_093112.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210604_093103.jpg
    20210604_093103.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210604_093046.jpg
    20210604_093046.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 20210604_093030.jpg
    20210604_093030.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210604_093040.jpg
    20210604_093040.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 49

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh, my goodness! I am so sorry! Did you notice anything unusual with these fish prior to their deaths (and the filter issue)? It’s very hard to tell anything from these pictures, as the white spots look like bubbles, and I can’t see any bruising or other discoloration. The white spots could be a fungus.

Back in 2019 you posted about “bloating” goldfish. There wasn’t a follow-up post, so we don’t know if that was ever resolved.

Unfortunately, pictures alone don’t give enough information. Please give us more information about your pond, such as size, type of filtration, number of fish, and water test results. Sometimes fish just die for no apparent reason, but in most cases there is a reason and we would like to help you figure it out.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Was your filter the only source of moving water? Do you know how long it was off? Since it's the largest fish, that leans toward low oxygen levels.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh, my goodness! I am so sorry! Did you notice anything unusual with these fish prior to their deaths (and the filter issue)? It’s very hard to tell anything from these pictures, as the white spots look like bubbles, and I can’t see any bruising or other discoloration. The white spots could be a fungus.

Back in 2019 you posted about “bloating” goldfish. There wasn’t a follow-up post, so we don’t know if that was ever resolved.

Unfortunately, pictures alone don’t give enough information. Please give us more information about your pond, such as size, type of filtration, number of fish, and water test results. Sometimes fish just die for no apparent reason, but in most cases there is a reason and we would like to help you figure it out.
Thank you for your message back and many apologies for not getting back to you re the bloated goldfish in 1919, sadly it died soon after and I never did get to the bottom of why, I can only think egg bound.
Regarding my current situation with the pond, it contains 900 gallons and is split into two ponds with a connecting stream which enables the fish to use both ponds; the filtration system I have changed this year to Green Genie 18000 combined 18 watt uvc 1600 50 4000 gals.
the filter system sits above the smallest pond and has a sort of sump just below which I clear regularly. I think the muck in the pipe from the pump must have been building up and finally caused a blockage hence it stopped but has now been sorted and is flowing freely and today the fish seem perfectly happy and are feeding. I see that several of the fish have these patches that I was talking about and I have photographed them and attached, large white patches that don't look like fungus to me. The fish themselves are not showing any signs of stress and are swimming freely as were the ones that died. Could barometric pressure have anything to do with the obvious lack of oxygen to the pond yesterday? I do have quite a lot of fish, difficult to count how many because they breed each year but the pond doesn't look oversubscribed and I have just discovered I have newts too! I also have a couple of fish whose tails are a bit deformed. I hope this gives you a better idea of my problem and I look forward to your reply.
pond 1.jpg

Attachments

• pond 2.jpg
    pond 2.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 45
  • pond 7.jpg
    pond 7.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 43
  • pond 6.jpg
    pond 6.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 39
  • pond 5.jpg
    pond 5.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 41
  • pond 3.jpg
    pond 3.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 40
  • pond 4.jpg
    pond 4.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was your filter the only source of moving water? Do you know how long it was off? Since it's the largest fish, that leans toward low oxygen levels.
Thank you, I did feel it was possibly partly an oxygen problem and turned the hose on full for a while and the fish were straight under it. The filter may not have been working all night but I don't know because I discovered it first thing in the morning

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@Penny
i dont know what the white patches are, but if you think oxygen may be an issue, i would suggest getting an aeration system for your pond. very inexpensive and will solve that problem. I would make sure to have a bubbler in each pond though since they are separated. Again, thats not in issue since a lot of units come with 2-4 different hookups for bubblers. Im sure somebody more experienced in pond keeping can identify the white spots. good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I do have a bubbler and it is quite an efficient one and at the moment (apart from the mysterious white patches, all seems well in the pond again.
Thank you so much for your interest, much appreciated

Ask a Question