Small Raised pond.Novice.Full of Qs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just bought a small raised pond for Goldfish.I am ready to listen, read and learn.Please be gentle

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! One of the biggest issues people face is getting too many small fish to start and not allowing for growth. How big is your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! One of the biggest issues people face is getting too many small fish to start and not allowing for growth. How big is your pond?
Hi.it’s a really small raised pond 1.5 x 0.75 x 0.55 deep it has 6 small goldfish.It’s just something for grandkids to enjoy and running water background sound but I want to look after it properly

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Penguin welcome.gif
@Jonom
So pond is about 5ft long x 2&1/2 ft wide x 2ft deep in U.S terms?
Not real big and 6 small fish will be ok for a bit but they will grow and reproduce. You will need a filter of some kind and lots of plants. Better be ready in the future to find homes for the extra fish and don't over feed as will make a dirty mess. I feed mine once a week on Fridays. Do not ever empty the pond and clean as that will upset the water quality and could kill the fish. Let the filter do the job and the plants. You can skim out stuff that falls into the pond and the gunk on the bottom as it accumulates. If you have city water you may need to add de-chlor drops to take out the Chlorine/Chloromines.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 158344@Jonom
So pond is about 5ft long x 2&1/2 ft wide x 2ft deep in U.S terms?
Not real big and 6 small fish will be ok for a bit but they will grow and reproduce. You will need a filter of some kind and lots of plants. Better be ready in the future to find homes for the extra fish and don't over feed as will make a dirty mess. I feed mine once a week on Fridays. Do not ever empty the pond and clean as that will upset the water quality and could kill the fish. Let the filter do the job and the plants. You can skim out stuff that falls into the pond and the gunk on the bottom as it accumulates. If you have city water you may need to add de-chlor drops to take out the Chlorine/Chloromines.
Thank you for the advice.I am following advice of the salesperson from my local garden centre who seems to know what he’s talking about and your reply confirms that . I have plants and pump/filter and water was cleaned like you said. Looks like I am ok for now.Thanks again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I definitely will at 1st opportunity I get.I am working away at the moment for a week or so .Not much of a photographer so nothing on phone.And I will need my granddaughter to show me how anyway 😉

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Compared to most ponds on here it’s not much but the granddaughters and I love it already.The Hook a Duck tho , what was the wife thinking😂😂😂😂
Just perfect for a few fish and the kids! Your wife knows how to keep the kids entertained, great idea, just don't hook the fish :happy:

Ask a Question