Need suggestions for paint/sealant for a older painted pond.

Bea

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a Girl Scout project. Their mission was to balance the eco system in the pool and to educate others. Our pond is located in an alcove in a church. The girls emptied the overgrown plants (iris and grasses) and the 3 little fish. We drained the water, scrubbed and power washed the cement pond. We found that the pump was not functioning properly and we need a new one. They have kept us waiting to receive the part and both the plants and fish have been stressed. Sad news today, the fish were belly up when I checked them today. I'm over no one taking responsibility for their actions when the ball is in their court. So, with that said, I need guidance in finding the right paint for this already painted pond that really doesn't seem to have leeks but needs to be resealed. It is outside but inside the church walls (sheltered a bit). The original paint was a pale blue, We have no pond stores left in town to seek advice. On the internet, everybody seems to say epoxy is the way to go. It's expensive so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the sealants they have at Home Depot. Thanks so much for your thoughts in advance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is a Girl Scout project. Their mission was to balance the eco system in the pool and to educate others. Our pond is located in an alcove in a church. The girls emptied the overgrown plants (iris and grasses) and the 3 little fish. We drained the water, scrubbed and power washed the cement pond. We found that the pump was not functioning properly and we need a new one. They have kept us waiting to receive the part and both the plants and fish have been stressed. Sad news today, the fish were belly up when I checked them today. I'm over no one taking responsibility for their actions when the ball is in their court. So, with that said, I need guidance in finding the right paint for this already painted pond that really doesn't seem to have leeks but needs to be resealed. It is outside but inside the church walls (sheltered a bit). The original paint was a pale blue, We have no pond stores left in town to seek advice. On the internet, everybody seems to say epoxy is the way to go. It's expensive so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the sealants they have at Home Depot. Thanks so much for your thoughts in advance.
how big is the pond ?

Bea

Reaction score
Country
United States

Attachments

• IMG_5064.jpeg
    IMG_5064.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5022.jpeg
    IMG_5022.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5071.jpeg
    IMG_5071.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You will have to be careful with what you use, it will need to be non-toxic epoxy like what @GBBUDD linked to since you will have plants and fish in there. The other sealants HD sells are for garage floors etc. Unfortunately like you said it is expensive to get this epoxy. My daughters are in GS, sometimes you can have good luck with HD and go to the store manager and ask if they can help with the project, you may be surprised with what they will help with.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just be sure anything you use is safe for the kiddos to work with: SDS (used to be called MSDS, Material Safety Data Sheet) info and appropriate equipment and PPE. (Boy Scout leader, here. BSA has good guidelines, and I’m sure GSA does as well). It’s all about safety.

This will be a fun project — be sure to post updates!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
greet_100.gif
@Bea and all the kids.
Why does it need to be sealed if it does not leak? Whatever you use to paint it will just turn green and get nice good short type of carpet algae on it if left to do it's own thing. If me I would just scrape all that old paint off and let it go natural if no leaks.
Fish love nibbling on that algae. Add lots of good nutrient sucking plants and good pump/filter. Wait for you water to age before adding fish and only add a couple at at time, wait for awhile and add a couple more and so on. Not sure where you live but no feeding in cool or cold seasons. Wait till it warms up to feed fish sparingly.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A pressure washer will be needed more than likely to get the surface clean but from what i can see it appears the concrete and paint are as good as it could be, the containment looks to have been built professionally as the concrete looks polished and will help in staying water tight. My concern is not waterproofing but now that you have removed the muck and the plants that had over grown he pond, that they were what kept the pond healthy. Once cleaned and painted whats next is there a filter is the a circulation pump , air stone ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I might want to try a bog in one or both ends to keep everything contained and avoid having filters to clean and to allow for a variety of plants. Course it will take a while to be productive for plants and fish now that it's been scrubbed. I look forward to seeing the progress.

Ask a Question