Is spawning foam created from egg release, sperm release, or a combination of both being present in the water at the same time?

Abby

Nature & zen lover, Aquatic plant sales
Reaction score
Central Texas… home of the 10 month summer! ;)
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IMG_0080.jpeg

Spawning foam… what exactly is happening? Is each day or instance of foam associated with a) egg release b) sperm release c) The combo of both in the water at the same time? I know folks say it’s from the breakdown of proteins but does that occur from a,b,c, or all of the above?

We’ve had several intermittent days of foam on the water over these past few weeks and I’m just trying to better understand specifically what that means other than just “spawning” in general?

All of our levels and parameters are fantastic because of our amazeballs bog filtration… so it’s difficult to get a sense of what’s collectively going on in the pond with all this spawning

Sorry for the ignorance but thanks in advance for any enlightenment anyone is willing to share 😉❤️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
View attachment 162433
Spawning foam… what exactly is happening? Is each day or instance of foam associated with a) egg release b) sperm release c) The combo of both in the water at the same time? I know folks say it’s from the breakdown of proteins but does that occur from a,b,c, or all of the above?

We’ve had several intermittent days of foam on the water over these past few weeks and I’m just trying to better understand specifically what that means other than just “spawning” in general?

All of our levels and parameters are fantastic because of our amazeballs bog filtration… so it’s difficult to get a sense of what’s collectively going on in the pond with all this spawning

Sorry for the ignorance but thanks in advance for any enlightenment anyone is willing to share 😉❤️
We have 20 Shubunkins that spawn often and they do produce foam but never that much but the Shubunkins are under 9” so they may not produce as much.

Ask a Question