Introduction for Djoliver

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hi everyone:
Last October I had a pond built in my backyard, which is on a sloping hill. It consists of a creek flowing out of the back corner of my yard, down a slope for about 20 feet over a small waterfall into the pond, which is an oval about 15 feet long, 10 feet wide and 3 - 4 feet deep (probably closer to 3 feet deep, but I didn't mention). Anyway, my pond guy told me I probably wouldn't need a uv light or filter because I don't get much sun in the backyard, which meant he didn't expect much algae. Now a couple months later I've seen that the ph is too basic and I'm gettting some frothy pale green bubbles on the surface of the water in the pond. Welcome to pond life. I thought I should join a forum and start talking with others who are more experienced with ponds and fish. Hope to hear from you, after I post my questions in the right forum. I look forward to participating in Garden Ponds. The attached photo shows the pond left and a patio being built to the right of it. Byard Pond Stream Patio Compressed.JPG

Djoliver

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and very pretty with the stream and like the way it is started from the shrubs ,sorta guess where i 'm coming from thing and can I be nosey and ask what the round concrete thing is going to be ooops a patio huh have to pay more attention LOL.You will learn a lot here and have fun doing it .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Your set up looks great, love the stream

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
thanks for your comments. I put about 20 small gold fish in. I don't know how many are still alive after 3 months, because the water has gotten green and they stay near the bottom in the cold weather. I think the frothy bubbles I'm starting to get on top indicates some organic matter is decomposing - it might be some of the fish have died. That's what I'm trying to clear up now.

Ask a Question