Intake Bay - Water Matrix Block Sizing?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just went to order a pump vault and one of the various water matrix blocks on the market and got bogged (no pun intended) down around the "small" and "large" sizes available. I like the dimensions of the small size (not as deep) but I am not sure if the small (17 gallons) will allow my pump to get enough water in the pump vault.

Pond will be 15x15x3 and I estimate less than 3000 gallons. Pump I have will do around 2400 gph after head loss. I dont need a large intake bay, I get very few leaves and its mostly to provide some surface skimming, protect smaller animals and hide the pump/plumbing.

Is this a valid concern or would i be fine going with the smaller block?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Water storage for intake bay is sized based on pump flow. 1 gal of storage for each GPM of pumping. So 2400 GPH = 40 GPM = 2 large aquablox or 3 small.

Large or small doesn’t really matte unless you live where it freezes deeply.

Smaller blocks will give more surface area for infiltration of water through gravel but large will take less space.

Your call.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Water storage for intake bay is sized based on pump flow. 1 gal of storage for each GPM of pumping. So 2400 GPH = 40 GPM = 2 large aquablox or 3 small.

Large or small doesn’t really matte unless you live where it freezes deeply.

Smaller blocks will give more surface area for infiltration of water through gravel but large will take less space.

Your call.
So, that formula is what is needed to ensure the pump doesnt become starved for water in the pump vault? I was thinking the block just helped distribute the suction evenly at the surface, rather than just using gravel. It does make sense to use the large block for the added depth so it is less likely to freeze. Might allow me to run the pump longer in winter too. I wasnt planning on making my intake bay large enough to accomdate that number of blocks, so I may have to re-think this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So, that formula is what is needed to ensure the pump doesnt become starved for water in the pump vault?

Yes, that's the idea.

I was thinking the block just helped distribute the suction evenly at the surface, rather than just using gravel.

It just allows you to get the same amount of water in much less space. If you used all gravel, you'd need 3-4x the volume in your intake bay to achieve the same gallons of storage for the pump. It also allows you to have a thin layer of gravel instead of a ton of it, which is much easier to clean. I would never do an intake bay w just gravel as, once it clogs, it'll be a ton of work to dig it all out to clean.

I wasnt planning on making my intake bay large enough to accomdate that number of blocks, so I may have to re-think this.

Maybe share a quick drawing of what you're thinking for your bay. For the pump, it's just about volume. Doesn't matter if you use 2 big blocks, 3 small ones, or some combination. Also doesn't matter if you stack them to make it deeper and take less surface space. More surface space just gives you more time between cleanings.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, that's the idea.

It just allows you to get the same amount of water in much less space. If you used all gravel, you'd need 3-4x the volume in your intake bay to achieve the same gallons of storage for the pump. It also allows you to have a thin layer of gravel instead of a ton of it, which is much easier to clean. I would never do an intake bay w just gravel as, once it clogs, it'll be a ton of work to dig it all out to clean.

Maybe share a quick drawing of what you're thinking for your bay. For the pump, it's just about volume. Doesn't matter if you use 2 big blocks, 3 small ones, or some combination. Also doesn't matter if you stack them to make it deeper and take less surface space. More surface space just gives you more time between cleanings.
Thanks! I just ordered two of the large EasyPro High Strength Res-Cubes for $100 total. They should fit fine and I would rather it was adequate than having to question if it was enough.

I am guessing you need to figure in the depth of the intake bay into your liner calc right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks! I just ordered two of the large EasyPro High Strength Res-Cubes for $100 total. They should fit fine and I would rather it was adequate than having to question if it was enough.

I am guessing you need to figure in the depth of the intake bay into your liner calc right?

Yep. If your liner is going “up and over” that affects the liner size for sure. You can also build your diver between the pond and the bay inside the liner. You don’t have to build the weir w/ earth.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep. If your liner is going “up and over” that affects the liner size for sure. You can also build your diver between the pond and the bay inside the liner. You don’t have to build the weir w/ earth.
Good point, I hadnt thought of that. I actually think I am going to get my liner from a local pond builder. They will cut liner to order, so I dont have to buy at 5' foot increments. I am thinking once the hole is dug I will take actual measurements with a flexible tape at the longest points and then add whatever the recommended excess around the edge (1-2' at the edge i think?). I think this will be more accurate than the generic calculations.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Good point, I hadnt thought of that. I actually think I am going to get my liner from a local pond builder. They will cut liner to order, so I dont have to buy at 5' foot increments. I am thinking once the hole is dug I will take actual measurements with a flexible tape at the longest points and then add whatever the recommended excess around the edge (1-2' at the edge i think?). I think this will be more accurate than the generic calculations.

That’s a good way to go. I would not fret about buying in 5’ increments. Liner disappears quickly once you have folds/creases to conform to an irregular shape and shelves.

1’ extra is more likely to be 1’ short no matter how well you measure.

Ask a Question