Fish lying on bottom of pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
I have a pond about 9'x6'x2.5'. The water is pumped up to a bog which flows into a stream that flows back into the pond. I have 6 or 7 shubunkins. In late fall, I saw one lying on the bottom of the pond, but when I stirred the water a little, he swam away. This spring, there he was again. I just started feeding them a couple of weeks ago so I don't see how he could be overeating (and he doesn't come when I feed the others). He also doesn't look bloated, so I don't think it's swim bladder disorder. All the other fish seem just fine.

I'd be so grateful for any suggestions! There doesn't seem to be a vet who works with fish in my area.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In Canada is it possible your water is still cool , My fish are very active during the day but at night the temps have been in the 30's and the fish can be found laying on the bottom not moving much

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
I checked the water temp before starting to feed them, so I don't think that's an issue (I'm in the mildest spot in Canada). It's only the one fish and he's not just lurking at the bottom, he's lying on his side and he just stays there.
I thank you for taking the time to respond.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Have had fish like that a couple of times, never ended well for me. I bring my fish in for the winter and one was treated with different meds a few times, always seemed to get better for a while and then relapse, family named it Lazarus.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't feed till temps outside get into the warm range. I live just south of you in Arlington, Wa. in zone 8a. Too cold to feed I.M.O! Their guts are not able to handle a lot of Summer type foods yet. When it starts to warm up I use Spring/Fall food. Easier to digest. Then in Summer I switch to Summer food. Not sure tho at all if this is your fishes issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Thank you for sharing that, JRS. It's heart-breaking, isn't it?

JW, before starting to feed them, I did check the water temperature, and it was above what seems to be recommended. Also he seems to have had this problem in the fall (so presumably all winter?) and I don't think he's eaten any of the food I've given them. However, while I haven't been feeding a lot, I have always given the same food throughout the feeding season. I'm going to go to a fish store on Friday and hopefully they will have something better for spring and fall. I wasn't aware of a need to change the food itself. The store I used to go to just had the one. So whether this is related or not, I appreciate knowing this better practice! Thank you!

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing that, JRS. It's heart-breaking, isn't it?

JW, before starting to feed them, I did check the water temperature, and it was above what seems to be recommended. Also he seems to have had this problem in the fall (so presumably all winter?) and I don't think he's eaten any of the food I've given them. However, while I haven't been feeding a lot, I have always given the same food throughout the feeding season. I'm going to go to a fish store on Friday and hopefully they will have something better for spring and fall. I wasn't aware of a need to change the food itself. The store I used to go to just had the one. So whether this is related or not, I appreciate knowing this better practice! Thank you!
I don't buy mine here but just thought I'd share some info on the types of food for the seasons: https://www.liveaquaria.com/article/150/?aid=150

Ask a Question