Anyone know where to find a pond breather?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been searching for days but they seem to have gone the way of the dinosaurs

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just looked and this place has them: https://www.earlysgarden.com/pond-supplies/de-icer-pond-breather-with-40w-heater
I don't need these and have never used one so don't know if this is a decent price or not?
Here is another place: http://www.plantfactorygardencenter.com/default.asp
Not sure what the shipping is tho or if these are the right kind. Do a search at the site above and it will come up w/this:

Pond Breather/Winterizer by Allied Precision​

Pond Breather/Winterizer by Allied Precision

MPN: ALLIEDPR-8PB
List Price: $84.99
You save $16.20
Price: $68.79
Quantity:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have the one I use and a new one in a box I bought when Dr. Fosters and Smith was going out of business, but that's been several years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have the one I use and a new one in a box I bought when Dr. Fosters and Smith was going out of business, but that's been several years ago.
Yeah, they were $17!
I have one too.
I do prefer my K&H pond deicer though.
It could have just been a coincidence, but I used the pond breather one year and one of my big koi died. Maybe just a coincidence....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, they were $17!
I have one too.
It could have just been a coincidence, but I used the pond breather one year and one of my big koi died. Maybe just a coincidence....
Planning on deploying argo plastic, a deicer and pond breather to try and ensure my shallow 18inch pond doesn't freeze along with my goldfish. Happened to check Facebook market place and found a pond breather for $45! Yay!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yeah, they were $17!
I have one too.
I run both the Pond Breather and an aerator .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had that Allied Pond Breather mentioned in the link above for 5-6 years, it has finally died on me. As I recall, they were $50-60, but have now been discontinued, and are super hard to find, believe me, I've been looking, as it did a great job here in central Mass. With it, I never lost a koi over the winter. It would freeze into the ice, and a small pump below would pump a thin stream of water up into the above-ice tube. That water would return to the pond oxygenated, and the bad gases could get out. The only one I can find now is at the earlysgarden link above, but price is $140.00. The thing is, those only use 40 watts.

The nearest thing to that level of efficiency seems to be the Pondmaster de-icer,

https://webbsonline.com/Item/PondMa...HorjidF4lw6hIYKEV9PAvXtvg4QbtpI0aAlGnEALw_wcB

which also freezes into the ice and keeps a small open hole in the middle for gases to get out, but does not apparently oxygenate the water. However, it uses 4 times as much energy at 120 watts, but that's only about $18.00 more for my typical 3 month ice season here.

Anyone here using the Pondmaster de-icer? I'd hate to spring $140 on the discontinued API breather product, and Webb's would have good support/warranty on the Pondmaster de-icer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've had that Allied Pond Breather mentioned in the link above for 5-6 years, it has finally died on me. As I recall, they were $50-60, but have now been discontinued, and are super hard to find, believe me, I've been looking, as it did a great job here in central Mass. With it, I never lost a koi over the winter. It would freeze into the ice, and a small pump below would pump a thin stream of water up into the above-ice tube. That water would return to the pond oxygenated, and the bad gases could get out. The only one I can find now is at the earlysgarden link above, but price is $140.00. The thing is, those only use 40 watts.

The nearest thing to that level of efficiency seems to be the Pondmaster de-icer,

https://webbsonline.com/Item/PondMa...HorjidF4lw6hIYKEV9PAvXtvg4QbtpI0aAlGnEALw_wcB

which also freezes into the ice and keeps a small open hole in the middle for gases to get out, but does not apparently oxygenate the water. However, it uses 4 times as much energy at 120 watts.

I'm wondering if I should spring the $140 for the now discontinued API breather, like I had, or get the readily available Pondmaster version, even though it uses more electricity.
which part died? I bet the pump; should be an EASY thing to just buy a cheap/small pump and hook it up to the pondbreather tube(might need a larger/smaller tube or an adaptor), but really, just a pump pushing a small flow of water up a tube and over, + a heating element. If that, might be harder to replace but I know I have an aqurium heater wire which would work, should mine die on me. I've taken apart the 'ball' which house the pump and had to zip tie it back together. Give it a thought; you have nothing to lose as you're going to throw it out anyway, right? A few moments on Amazon, a wait, a fix, and bob's yer uncle!

heh; some of us got in on the 'discontinued part' sale and snatched them up at $24! I got 2, so no worries for a while, even though I don't use them currently; am testing out the pond tent but I figure as I age out, not going to erect the structure and it'll be pondbreathers only at that time!

smilie-sword-twirl-Christmas2.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes., I typically cleaned mine well every year, and have epoxied the lower plastic tube a couple of times when it snapped off where it meets the disk. This time, the electrical wiring all came apart when I took the top off to clean, and the cloth insulation on the wiring was disintegrating badly, so I dumped it. Little did I know that they are next to impossible to find now, at a reasonable cost. Never could figure out the purpose of those electrical wires that came up into the top of the dome. Let me know if anyone here has experience with that Pondmaster de-icer, I need to get something in there real soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes., I typically cleaned mine well every year, and have epoxied the lower plastic tube a couple of times when it snapped off where it meets the disk. This time, the electrical wiring all came apart when I took the top off to clean, and the cloth insulation on the wiring was disintegrating badly, so I dumped it. Little did I know that they are next to impossible to find now, at a reasonable cost. Never could figure out the purpose of those electrical wires that came up into the top of the dome. Let me know if anyone here has experience with that Pondmaster de-icer, I need to get something in there real soon.
you can also use an aerator, about 12" from the surface; if you insulate (say, put your air tubing inside a foam pipe tube, and cover your aerator pump), you'll get the same effect. Prob similar power demands, too, maybe less! The electric wire inside the pondbreather I believe is to keep the tube warm/defrosted/de-iced, especially if there's a lot of snow around it.

smilie-sword-twirl-Christmas2.gif

Reaction score
Country
United States

which also freezes into the ice and keeps a small open hole in the middle for gases to get out, but does not apparently oxygenate the water. However, it uses 4 times as much energy at 120 watts, but that's only about $18.00 more for my typical 3 month ice season here.

Anyone here using the Pondmaster de-icer? I'd hate to spring $140 on the discontinued API breather product, and Webb's would have good support/warranty on the Pondmaster de-icer.
I have one for sale I've never used

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, mine snapped off too. I also repaired it with epoxy. I do prefer a deicer though. I also run two air stones 24/7/365. I raise the air stones for winter.

The electrical wires in the dome are heat trace elements to keep it from freezing.

Ask a Question