Wicking from top fleece liner

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The pond we have built on sand has an EDPM liner and on top a fleece liner. The two liners are held in place by large limestone rocks. The water level seems to drop and I am wondering if it is because of the fleece wicking up the pond water, then evaporating. Should I cut back fleece?

Attachments

• IMG_2930.jpeg
    IMG_2930.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just want to add, I was on the forum a few weeks ago for the first time. I had really good advice about my new pond losing water, quite drastic loss. I was advised I must have a low edge or leak. We took apart the pond and it was a low edge so we made the pond smaller. This worked. The issue now just seems to be wicking or evaporation.
The overlay goes under the large rocks so thinking this is now my issue.
🐸

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The water level is always going to drop due to evaporation, especially on dry windy warm days, even more if you have waterfalls or fountains or lots of plants. How much are you losing?

Yes the overlay can contribute or wick as discussed before. You could try and cut back any exposed portion that is not directly protecting the rubber liner from the rock to try and minimize it, how much it would help, hard to say.

Reaction score
Country
United States
looking at that image makes me wonder if water could be wicking away in the gravel area on the end next to the garden center plant pot filled with rocks. Might want to look to see if the ground near that tree is damp. But as you and @JRS said, it likely is the fleece. Just curious, how much water are you losing each day? Try doing a bucket test and see what happens.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes what you are calling fleece I hope is non woven geotextile. Looks similar to fleece.

This can suck up water quite well if I have an edge that is under 6 inches I will cut the underlayment so it does not crest over the top of the liner and the top of containment.

But in the same respect I also count on the fabric sucking up water and use that for growing moss ferns or other plants. These areas can become very unique and favorable. But yes it can be a fine line as well.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thank you for all your comments, we trimmed back the overlay, yes it was a geotextile. We folded it along the shelf and placed river stones along it. Also the beach area we pushed back overlay and put down more river stones. We filled it yesterday and this morning the water level is the same. It has been hot and windy here, the level dropped 3 inches or more before we trimmed the overlay.
Learning so much with all this. Want to put more granite boulders on shelf to hide the liner but right now just holding my breath.
Thank you again, love this forum.🐸

Ask a Question