White oak tanins

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

I have a relatively new (less than a yr old) small pond (~ 800 gallons) with a white oak tree partially over one end. The water turned brown with tanins in the fall when I didn't keep up with the leaves, but I also am now finding that it will turn brown in the spring after a rain on new leaves (without any leaves falling in the pond).

From reading around online it seems like all tanins or all activated carbon products are not created equal... some people say activated carbon works to help clear the water after it becomes tea colored from the tanins and others say it does not work. I'm wondering if there is anybody who has experience with white oak tanins in their pond water and what has worked to help clear the water (aside from draining and re-filling the pond). I realize that tanins are not harmful, but it is nice to be able to see down into the water to see the creatures that are living there. Ultimately I may just need to cut the tree back, but in the meantime I'm trying to figure out if there is a good fix for oak tanin water without draining. Any suggestions welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a large maple over my new pond. Same issue as you, last Fall all the leaves came down same time as a big rain storm so the netting drooped into the pond. Water was brown, took awhile to clear, used carbon. Water turned dark brown again two weeks ago, after some heavy rain. It has cleared up and I am using activated charcoal right now. While the water still has a brown tint I can see very clearly to the bottom and see the fish easily. I would say the charcoal helps even if it is not as "polished" or crystal clear as the packaging promises. I have a bog filter, no other filtration.
Some people have used cotton batting (the filling for comforters) and placed in a milk crate, have the water go through that. I used it after the leaf fiasco last Fall and it did help. You could also do small water changes, do not empty completely but take out some old water and add new, maybe 10-20% at a time. Do not want to do it all at once so you can keep the bacteria going.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not white oak tannins, but yes, I have had experience! Activated charcoal…..and lots of it…..and time. I certainly wouldn’t drain and clean my pond just for the aesthetics of tea-colored water! You would be starting your nitrogen cycle all over from scratch, which IMHO, is more worrisome than putting up with the color of the water.

For future season changes, consider putting a net over the pond to catch the leaves, acorns, and branches. Your pond is small enough that a net would be doable.

Ask a Question