White fungus on lotus plant

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!
I have a tiny 350 gallons pond with koi and plants. I recently purchased a lotus plant that was doing well. I tend to get aphids on my Lillies and was so sad that they often die without flowering. I bought a lotus plant that seemed to be flourishing and even flowered on my birthday. Now they have also developed this white mildew. I am worried about treating them since I have koi in the pond. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Attachments

• IMG_1261.jpeg
    IMG_1261.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1259.jpeg
    IMG_1259.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1258.jpeg
    IMG_1258.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1260.jpeg
    IMG_1260.jpeg
    296.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1263.jpeg
    IMG_1263.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have not seen that on mine so I'm no help to you. There are some lotus experts on here that might though. Between them and the internet, I hope you find the solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
My lotus get this, too. Every summer. I think - but am not sure - that it is a form of powdery mildew. This plant disease hits some of my plants near the end of every hot summer. (When I grew veggies, it always hit my squash and cucumbers.) It is unsightly and annoying but the lotus do come back every year. I would say if you decide to cut off any particularly diseased stems, be sure to make the cut well above the water line, so water doesn't get in and rot the tuber. I would bag the diseased cuttings and dispose of them.

Ask a Question