Which pump to get for the fountain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi, Need some 101 lessons on fountain physics. I got my fountain a long time ago. It includes the floating base about 2 feet in diameter, the LED lights around, and the pump I bought separately. My Jebao 5000 gph crapped out. I'm looking at new pumps and can't decide which to get. I would like to get a more powerful pump, possibly 9000gph, but not sure if it will work well with the current setup. The pipe in a fountain base is just 3/4 inch at the narrowest point. After that, I installed the nozzle that has a 1-inch inlet.
Are there any drawbacks to getting the powerful pump and connecting it to a base that has a 3/4 outlet/inlet?
The fountain is for aesthetic purposes, aerating with air compressors.
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United States
Less pump if you want that size pipe, imo. You are just wasting money since your pipe is too small for the pump. My rules are nothing less than 1.5 inch unless really small like under 1k gph Under that for small pumps only. Once you hit 2k gph pumps I want 2 inch and over 4k I want 3 inch. Especially if it is any distance. Pump might have died early because of small pipes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Less pump if you want that size pipe, imo. You are just wasting money since your pipe is too small for the pump. My rules are nothing less than 1.5 inch unless really small like under 1k gph Under that for small pumps only. Once you hit 2k gph pumps I want 2 inch and over 4k I want 3 inch. Especially if it is any distance. Pump might have died early because of small pipes.
Thank you for input. In what way the smaller outlet size from the pipe will affect the performance? Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Resistance of the pipe. If it is just a very short run it is not too bad, but volume of water from a pump is as much related to size of pipe as it is gph of pump. If you buy a 2k, 4k and 8k gph pump but only have a 1 inch pipe the volume will not increase as you expect. As pumps increase in gph, the pipe must also increase. I can get more out of a good 2k pump and 3 inch pipe than an 8k pump and 1 inch pipe. How long is the distance from pump to fountain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Resistance of the pipe. If it is just a very short run it is not too bad, but volume of water from a pump is as much related to size of pipe as it is gph of pump. If you buy a 2k, 4k and 8k gph pump but only have a 1 inch pipe the volume will not increase as you expect. As pumps increase in gph, the pipe must also increase. I can get more out of a good 2k pump and 3 inch pipe than an 8k pump and 1 inch pipe. How long is the distance from pump to fountain?
The pump is literally under the fountain base. But I'm working on changing the old piping and will try to increase the diameter of the pipe before the fountain nozzle.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Still seams a waste of watts to me to go too much over 2 to 3,000 gph on a fountain pump. If you goal is just more and higher then more gph, especially if it has a higher height number it will give more, just not worth the costs, imo. Not sure I would waste too much time on diameter until you get your new pump and see what the outlet is.

Ask a Question