When to remove Hyacinth and other water plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As we enter Fall just wondering when you remove the hyacinth and other water plants or cut back plants. Do you just wait for the first frost and then remove it? I have a lot of Hyacinth, close to half the pond surface. The water has been crystal clear for months and I know the plants are helping with that so do not want to take them out too early. Also, with water lillies do you cut them back to the planter before winter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm a little closer to your climate zone. :)

I take mine out as fall really sets in and the last time I get into the pond (in waders at that point because it's COLD). So when my maple trees have dropped their leaves, I get in and pull out all the hyacinths and cut back other plants. But I don't fully remove anything else. Those things are perennials and they will come back so long as they have roots in pots (lilies) or the rocks on the margin (bog bean, rushes, forget me nots, etc)

Ask a Question