What is this?

POD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have had this pond since 2019 with no real problems, This year there is some sort of vegetation or algae that is covering the surface. Can anyone identify it and tell me the best way to remedy it please
pond1.jpg
pond2.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hello I have had this pond since 2019 with no real problems, This year there is some sort of vegetation or algae that is covering the surface. Can anyone identify it and tell me the best way to remedy it pleaseView attachment 165489View attachment 165490
You have Duckweed my friend and good luck getting rid of it. Actually it is fine to have, just scoop out a bunch now and then and keep it under control. It can show up on bird legs from another pond or from acquired plants etc. https://pondinformer.com/duckweed-good-or-bad/ I actually raise the stuff in some other smaller tub ponds to feed the goldfish. They love it but if too much in your pond it is hard for them to eat it all up so I only throw in a small amount at a time for them. It is supposed to be a water purifier as the link above says. Don't let it cover your whole pond tho as that is where the trouble starts!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I've been wondering how duckweed keeps getting into my bog filter. I think it may somehow go through the pump and ends up being pushed up? Or maybe wind flew in some and then whenever I remove it one stays and it keeps multiplying.

But I wouldn't say Duckweed is bad. When I first put it in (voluntarily), the fish ate most of it, and they still keep it in check. Out of all the floating plants water lettuce may just take the cake for being the most invasive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oseebound

Latest Threads