What Carex can handle being in the pond on the margins?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I have not seen any that's actually advertised as being a marginal. I know they are sedges and that they love being in marshy areas so I suppose it only makes sense. The only one I see here is Carex riparia which is the European carex that can be in decent amount of water, but it's in the name.

I don't think there's much that has the same amount of green as Carex does year round so that's why I'm so interested in trying it. Varieties like Carex Brunnea or Irish Green. There are a lot of varieties though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Carex riparia sounds like a solid choice for pond margins. I’ve had good luck with Carex acutiformis, which thrives in marshy areas too. Have you tried mixing different varieties? It might give a nice mix of greens year-round. Any thoughts on adding Carex brunnea to your pond?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have this one growing in between my rocks around the pond w/it's roots reaching the water. Not sure what kind it is tho.
It's variegated:
IMG_8592.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Carex riparia sounds like a solid choice for pond margins. I’ve had good luck with Carex acutiformis, which thrives in marshy areas too. Have you tried mixing different varieties? It might give a nice mix of greens year-round. Any thoughts on adding Carex brunnea to your pond?
I use Carex a lot in the garden, I've got several varieties, most of it in shadier spots. Carex riparia I have in the bog, could possibly use it on margins but I'm in shade so I prefer something that's not going to be floppy which most of these tall plants flop in shade, not enough energy I guess or something, it's looking good currently but at some point they grow too tall, have had that issue with Acorus and I probably will not use that plant anymore as it's just pointless, and I've been trying for a year or two now. These tall grasses simply hate shade of any kind. Dwarf varieties have done very well though. Pond is under a tree so most plants that do well are things like Hostas which I should add more, Acorus, a Fern somehow dried up even though it was in constant water but that was a nice test I suppose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
i planted it earlier today. i think it'll do well, says it doesnt like dry and likes wet, and a lot of carex can handle both drought and being in or near water, so i t should be ok. growth habit seems very nice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IT LOKS A LOT LIKE VARIGATED SWEET FLAG AS THEY CALL IT IN THE POND TRADE I HAVE SEEVERAL PATCHES , 5 TO BE EXACT. it does very well it does not like to be disturbed so that is one way to control it's growth . yes I have a large water feature

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
IT LOKS A LOT LIKE VARIGATED SWEET FLAG AS THEY CALL IT IN THE POND TRADE I HAVE SEEVERAL PATCHES , 5 TO BE EXACT. it does very well it does not like to be disturbed so that is one way to control it's growth . yes I have a large water feature
Yeah. I've got a variegated dwarf sweet flag, 2 of them, they grow very well. Though I think many plants seem to struggle without a substrate, at least things like Irises or tall plants. Not dwarf/compact plants though, they do fine.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i planted it earlier today. i think it'll do well, says it doesnt like dry and likes wet, and a lot of carex can handle both drought and being in or near water, so i t should be ok. growth habit seems very nice.
Nice one. Keep us updated if you have time some time. :)

Ask a Question