Weeds in Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I posted in 2020 that upon returning home to Massachusetts from four months in Florida our 36, 18 to 24 inch koi were missing from our pond. We had the koi for over 30 years. Our pond is just under an acre and 8 to 10 feet deep -to this day we do not know what happened -we didn’t restock and since then what’s happened is a seaweed looking growth has appeared in the pond and it really looks terrible. We used to have a lot of frogs. I don’t hear frogs any longer and we had sunfish but can’t see the anything through weeds. The environment of the pond has certainly changed since the fish are gone. I was wondering if anyone had anything like this happen and should we consider restocking the pond with Koi? I’m assuming the koi kept the “seaweed” at bay. ? How can we eradicate these weeds? Can they be treated? I have attached a photo of the pond with a fish and of the current situation. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_6051.jpeg
    IMG_6051.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5472.jpeg
    IMG_5472.jpeg
    274 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would add fish. And if it is a big pond, many fish. Sometimes we never know what happens when they disappear. Some will be lost to predators. Hopefully spawning and occasional purchases will outpace predation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My husband was hesitant- he thought it would be better to let the pond evolve naturally- we started with 9 six inch koi in June 1989 and with no other competition they thrived- by September they were twice the size- overwintered nicely and spawned so that at one time we were giving away fish. I think it is time to restock. Is it too late to do so this year? Should we wait until spring?

Ask a Question