Waterfall splashing and losing water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hubby has fitted a small pond. No fish yet. 1000 litre tub. Waterfall is causing water loss as it’s splashing too much. Somebody has suggested water chains to slow the flow. Someone else said to reduce the drop height of the waterfall. It’s currently about 3 foot drop. Someone else said to reduce the pump size. Any help greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Any or all of those ideas might help. Sometimes when it comes to splashing, you just have to play around with things & see what works in your particular situation/pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
butterfly 37.gif
@Jackie Moores

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Without a picture we can only speculate and go from past experience.
A 3 foot tall waterfall is plenty tall to be effected by wind and on a gusty day can certainly cause a great deal of water loss.
Secondly at the height it hasalso.picked up speed. Depending on the volume just splashing in the water a foot deep can cause water to splash up to 8 feet away though at 4 to 6 feet is where noticeable water loss will be found.

solutions you have received some that can help. Look at an Olympic ski jump the skier does not land on flat ground he lands on an angle so it the water fall fell onto a sloped rock that was sticking up this can drastically reduce splash.
The typical way to collect splash is to have the rocks/ boulders off to each side of the falls be like a house shoe and they intercept the splash and the water drips down the rock.
I have one of my water falls where the falls drops down below into a pocket where it is surrounded by rocks and they also catch the splash

Ask a Question