Water level in pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_9325.jpeg
Hello. I have a split level pond but the water level in the lower pond always drops to around half way or less. Even when filling it up over 24 hours the level drops back to the lower level.
There is no leak so firstly why is his constantly happening and secondly where does the water that has disappeared go to.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry but that much water disappearing over night is 1 a leak or 2 excessive splashing, and a 3rd is leaching through the concrete

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. The lower level will always lose all the water to evaporation since it is acting as a sump for the top which keeps the top section at the same level as the over flow. That being said, as GBBUDD mentioned, it has to be one of those other issues if a very large amount is lost.

I could see the upper level settling at the lower section level if you had a back siphon issue with the pump, but the water has to be going somewhere.

What are the sizes of the separate levels? How much water are you losing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum. The lower level will always lose all the water to evaporation since it is acting as a sump for the top which keeps the top section at the same level as the over flow. That being said, as GBBUDD mentioned, it has to be one of those other issues if a very large amount is lost.

I could see the upper level settling at the lower section level if you had a back siphon issue with the pump, but the water has to be going somewhere.

What are the sizes of the separate levels? How much water are you losing?
Hi. Thank you for responding. The smaller pond is about a third of the surface area of the larger pond and about half the height.
The reason I feel it should not be any leak is that the water drops by around 5 cm or so over a 24 hour period but then the water level stabilises without any further reduction. If it was topped up, the same would happen but it baffles me where the water is going when it drops.

Ask a Question